+ Reply to Thread

Default Trickling heat and no insulation

Hello, I live in a house in Indiana that was built in 1908. The heating ducts run from the ground level, down through the basement, and then up to the second story. The heat barely trickles into the second/top level, which is where the bedrooms are. The bedrooms are also the attic, which has no insulation whatsoever and each bedroom has 2 closets which are even colder than the rooms themselves. The winters are cold and miserable at night, with the heating bills going up to almost $400.00 per month. I keep the furnace set on low (60 degrees) since it doesn't help much to turn it up anyway, and supplement with electric heaters in whatever room I'm in. I'm a single mother that has no idea how to do much of anything when it comes to home improvement. What can I do? Any simple and/or inexpensive fixes?

Default Re: Trickling heat and no insulation

Quote Originally Posted by 2twentyfour4 View Post
    Hello, I live in a house in Indiana that was built in 1908. The heating ducts run from the ground level, down through the basement, and then up to the second story. The heat barely trickles into the second/top level, which is where the bedrooms are. The bedrooms are also the attic, which has no insulation whatsoever and each bedroom has 2 closets which are even colder than the rooms themselves. The winters are cold and miserable at night, with the heating bills going up to almost $400.00 per month. I keep the furnace set on low (60 degrees) since it doesn't help much to turn it up anyway, and supplement with electric heaters in whatever room I'm in. I'm a single mother that has no idea how to do much of anything when it comes to home improvement. What can I do? Any simple and/or inexpensive fixes?
    Afraid not.
    Unfortunately the heating system isn't ideally configured and there's poor insulation to keep out the cold and the heat in.
    They both need to be addressed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Do the supplies to the first floor come off of the ductwork that runs through the basement, if yes I'll bet your first floor is comfortable. It would have been better if the ductwork T'd off and went upstairs with one trunk and down with the other, then again I can't see the layout of your house. As Canuk say's it doesn't look like a cheap fix, sorry

The cheap fixes are aimed at reducing the 'chimney effect' by choking off any cold air entry and hot air exiting. Sheet plastic over the windows (there are products designed for this)along with any insulation you can add.