+ Reply to Thread

Default How to locate studs behind a brick exterior facade

All,

How do I locate studs behind a brick wall without drilling holes. I've tried using a stud finder but it doesn't work.

Default Re: How to locate studs behind a brick exterior facade

What are you trying to achieve?

Is your house real brick or just brick veneer? The age of your house and the location would greatly help us determine the answer.

Standard 2" x 4" x 8" brick veneer. Age of house 50 years old, location: Boston, Massachusetts. I want to install awning brackets to the exterior stud wall behind the brick veneer. I was informed by the awning manufacture not to install brackets to the brick veneer since the awning weight would be too much especially if exposed to a stong wind that could tear the brick wall down.

One way is to try to find the studs from the inside, using a stud finder in good condition, measuring their distances to a door or a window, then mark the exterior with those distances and drill. Also, advance one stud at a time, to verify that your studs are 16" oc, before drilling a second hole. Use long screws that will go at least 1" into the studs.

Drill your holes in such height, that if you goof, the owning will cover your mistake.

Thanks Dj1

You realize for this to work you will need to insert bushings around all the bolts so that the weight and stress of the awning is carried directly back to the framing. Otherwise the forces will still press on the brick veneer. Or are they only worried about the pulling forces?
    I can't see the risk, myself.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

To be sure that you know, there will be a space, usually 1-2" between the brick veneer and the sheathing over the studs. Attaching the awning to the studs would still leave that gap and if over tightened could crack the brick. In any case, be careful on the installation.

All,

Thank you...