+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missing Chandelier Power ????

Hello all, I am trying to solve a dilemma I have. Recent remodeling has created some confusion as to the old work that the house has. My apologize in that I am certain some of my terminology is wrong.

I have a three way switch that is functioning fine in the same box with a two way switch that feed a inactive chandelier. We wish to reactivate the chandelier, but it seems it has no power source going to the box from the main electrical panel for the chandelier, simply a 2 wire running from the switch to the chandelier and that is it. In the chandelier there is only one wire pair coming to it (black and white). I thought I could piggyback off the three way switch to power the chandelier but not sure. There is a constant live wire on the three way but the neutral switches as the other three way switch is activated. So am I correct it cannot be done? Am I missing something simple? Do I have any other choice other than snaking a separate live/neutral wire to the switch for the chandelier? Not sure how this happened and why there is no power wire for the chandelier switch as there once was. I think the electrician may have used it to power another light once it was not in use.

Would appreciate any help and info!!!! Ike

Default Re: Missing Chandelier Power ????

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    Hello all, I am trying to solve a dilemma I have. Recent remodeling has created some confusion as to the old work that the house has. My apologize in that I am certain some of my terminology is wrong.

I have a three way switch that is functioning fine in the same box with a two way switch that feed a inactive chandelier. We wish to reactivate the chandelier, but it seems it has no power source going to the box from the main electrical panel for the chandelier, simply a 2 wire running from the switch to the chandelier and that is it. In the chandelier there is only one wire pair coming to it (black and white).
    At the ceiling box -- are both the black and white wires connected to the chandelier wiring ?
    When you say --- a 2 wire running from the switch to the chandelier -- are they both connected to the switch and what color wires ?

I thought I could piggyback off the three way switch to power the chandelier but not sure. There is a constant live wire on the three way but the neutral switches as the other three way switch is activated.
    The neutral never gets switched --- the white wire may be used as a traveller to the second 3 way -- but it should be identified with black tape or a felt marker.
    What color wires and how many conductors are being used here.

So am I correct it cannot be done? Am I missing something simple? Do I have any other choice other than snaking a separate live/neutral wire to the switch for the chandelier? Not sure how this happened and why there is no power wire for the chandelier switch as there once was. I think the electrician may have used it to power another light once it was not in use.

Would appreciate any help and info!!!! Ike
    a little more information is needed --- something doesn't add up.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the help. Yes something is definitely wrong and screwy.

Here are some answers to your questions.
    Both black and white wires are NOW connected to the chandelier. The ceiling box was covered with a plate initially since it was not being used. I connected them and the ground to the chandelier. These wires come down through the ceiling to the wall box, again white and black lines and a ground. They are a direct connections to each other since when I temporarily powered them up the chandelier lights up. Nothing else exists for this light in the box, no line (power) coming form the main electrical panel.

In the same wall box there is a second independent electrical switch that has technically nothing to do with this issue, it just happens to be in the same electrical box. It is a three way switch and, my apologies for my confusion it has a red, black and white wire(taped black) and a ground feeding to the plug. Sorry for my confusion but I was testing it with a tester that merely determines voltages when I made the first statement. This switch works fine. (Sorry doing this from memory not at the home at this moment).

So is there any way to use the power from the three way and "pigtail" it to the chandelier switch or most I run a new line from the panel tot he chandelier?

Thanks Ike

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    Thanks for the help. Yes something is definitely wrong and screwy.

Here are some answers to your questions.
    Both black and white wires are NOW connected to the chandelier. The ceiling box was covered with a plate initially since it was not being used. I connected them and the ground to the chandelier. These wires come down through the ceiling to the wall box, again white and black lines and a ground. They are a direct connections to each other since when I temporarily powered them up the chandelier lights up. Nothing else exists for this light in the box, no line (power) coming form the main electrical panel.

In the same wall box there is a second independent electrical switch that has technically nothing to do with this issue, it just happens to be in the same electrical box. It is a three way switch and, my apologies for my confusion it has a red, black and white wire(taped black) and a ground feeding to the plug. Sorry for my confusion but I was testing it with a tester that merely determines voltages when I made the first statement. This switch works fine. (Sorry doing this from memory not at the home at this moment).

So is there any way to use the power from the three way and "pigtail" it to the chandelier switch or most I run a new line from the panel tot he chandelier?

Thanks Ike
    Alrighty -- that helps.
    The problem being there isn't a neutral conductor for the chandelier --- so it sounds as though you need to run a 14/2 from the panel to the switch box and add a breaker for this new circuit. Then you would have a live ( black ) and a neutral ( white ) to make your connections to the switch and cable running for the chandelier.
    - Rush

Yep, that is what I figured. So there is no way to use the power supplying the other three way switch? Is that because it is a three way or does that not make a difference? Thanks again for your time and advise!!! Ike

In a three way switched circuit only one of the switches will have constant power --- so , even if it happens to be the one in the same gang box you could pigtail the hot . However , there isn't a neutral available for the chandelier. You physically have to run a neutral line from somewhere.
    - Rush

Ok, that is what I thought although I did not know the proper terminology to discribe it. A new feed it will be, there is a plug close by so maybe I will feed it from there. Thanks again!!!!! Ike
    Last edited by general; 12-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Running a new feed ( hot & neutral ) is the best thing. Hopefully tapping off the receptacle doesn't overload that circuit .

Good luck.
    - Rush

Overload is definitely something to worry about but these plugs are not being used and have minimal load on them. Again thanks!!!!

You are quite welcome.
    Post back and let us know how things work out.
    - Rush