+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basement Smell!

Default Re: Basement Smell!

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmy View Post
    I had the same problem and my solution may or may not be your particular solution, but here goes. I have a basement toilet that is connected to an ejector sump. The ejector pump was set to drain the sump at a level high enough to allow raw sewage to enter the floor drain pipe. After time the floor drain pipe filled with sewage and caused the odor. I set the ejector to drain the sump before filling to the level of the drain pipe, flushed the floor drain with lots of fresh water and now I have no more odor. My floor drain was not covered with carpet. I hope this helps you.
    How did you figure out this was the problem though? We dont have a septic so is the pump you're talking about seperate from that? We did have water on the walls in part of the basement the day we signed the papers and we do know that we have to put in interior tiling and a sump pump but they only take out the very lower portion of the walls so I doubt we'd get lucjy enough to find the problem when they do that....

I would call a plumber. The best way to introduce into the system is through a outside clean out plug. But I have also used the vent stack on the roof. The main thing is to do it from outside the home. That way any smoke you see inside the home is coming from your source of the sewer gas leak.

John

Quote Originally Posted by amanda4smith@gmail.com View Post
    How do we do this?? Does a plumber come test it or the people who installed our septic? This sounds like a decent place to start...
    To add to John's idea:

A plumber will have all the necessary equipment to perform a smoke test, including a smoke device and a forced air pump. Within minutes you'll see the smoke coming out of any opening in the sewer line.
    Last edited by dj1; 12-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.

If the plumber doesn't have the equipment for a smoke test, or has never done one, get a new plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    If the plumber doesn't have the equipment for a smoke test, or has never done one, get a new plumber.
    Actually guys the equipment we use is not that high tech. It's a 5 gallon bucket and a shop vac with a suction and discharge hose. We drop a smoke bomb into the bucket and suck the smoke out through the shop vac and into the plumbing system. It works great. We once used it in a three story hotel to find a leak behind a wall in a old cast iron vent line.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Actually guys the equipment we use is not that high tech. It's a 5 gallon bucket and a shop vac with a suction and discharge hose. We drop a smoke bomb into the bucket and suck the smoke out through the shop vac and into the plumbing system. It works great. We once used it in a three story hotel to find a leak behind a wall in a old cast iron vent line.

John
    I found a simple step by step guide to doing this on google..so we are going to try this. Is the white "curved" tube on the roof where we want to introduce the smoke bomb to??

I found a simple step by step guide to doing this on google..so we are going to try this. Is the white "curved" tube on the roof where we want to introduce the smoke bomb to??
    So when you found that leak behind the old cast iron vent how did that get fixed?

The vent pipe shouldn't be a white curved tube. It should just extend 10 to 12 inches through the roof. If someone put a fitting on it after it exits the roof this can be part of your problem. I also hope your not going to just drop the smoke bomb down the vent. Sewer gas is flammable. If your not even sure what a vent pipe looks like I don't think it would be wise for you to attempt doing it. You are way over your head on this I would advise you to call a plumber. As far as what we did to repair a failed line we replaced it.

John

At this point it sounds like you'd be better off getting a pro to do this job. Don't compromise your safety for a 'fistfull of dollars'.

Your roof has a few vents and you need to know which one is what.

But if you have a clean out in the ground, better use that.

That curved pipe on the roof could be to the furnace. The "over your head" statement may be correct. Don't make more problems than you already have. There's no shame in admitting a problem needs a professional to diagnose or fix. It's also good to at least try to DIY.