+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall is basement not straight

I just put up a wall and screwed it down. Upon looking at it, it looks crooked, ie. Not perpendicular to the cinder block outside wall. Is this something that is common? I am not yet at the point of not return, but it would be lots of extra work to straighten it out. Would anyone even notice? Its probably at an 85 degree angle to the wall. It is parallel to the stress relief joint in the ground, but not parallel to the floor joists.

Thanks.

Default Re: Wall is basement not straight

You didn't mention what this wall was for, but let me say this: never practice mistakes.

I'd correct the mistake while I could, and won't tell anybody.

I would say the foundation wall is straight but the stress joint isn't.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 12-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehren View Post
    I just put up a wall and screwed it down. Upon looking at it, it looks crooked, ie. Not perpendicular to the cinder block outside wall. Is this something that is common? I am not yet at the point of not return, but it would be lots of extra work to straighten it out. Would anyone even notice? Its probably at an 85 degree angle to the wall. It is parallel to the stress relief joint in the ground, but not parallel to the floor joists.

Thanks.
    If the wall is not plumb, make it so. As far as having to be parallel to anything else, no it does not, however if it is a supporting structure it needs to be directly below that which it supports.

It sounds to me like you've got a non-structural partitian and you're more worried about sight lines than anything else. If it is only about aesthetics, then build it to the most prominent line of sight. It sounds like the expansion joint in the floor may be more important than the companion wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Check the wall you built for plumb with a level and adjust as needed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush