+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I convert double hung sash windows to tilt?

My husband and I bought a commercial building that was built in 1895, and we've converted the top floor into a loft apartment. The windows are 9 feet high, double hung sash, and none of them still have the window weights. I'd like to convert the windows so each sash tilts for easier cleaning. It's located on a main downtown street, so traffic is often heavy, and dirty windows are a problem. Is this possible? My husband says no, but I'm hoping someone here can help me out! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Can I convert double hung sash windows to tilt?

convert no.. replace yes
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Storm window panels are removable from the inside for cleaning. They will double the insulation value of the window and can be made with Low-E.

Most replacement windows will negatively affect the appearance of the building since they will be a little smaller and windows that tall won't be cheap. 20-50 years form now, they will have to be thrown out and replaced. IF you break a window, you often just throw out the sash and replace it. IF it needs ot be repaired, you throw it out and replace it. They aren't maintenance free, they are disposeable.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Jkirk is correct. It might be more cost effective to hire a window washer every once in a while, rather than replace fairly good windows.

Yes, it can be done, there are kits available. However, you need special router bits and tools to do it. Also 9' windows would need three people to hold the weight while tilted out and for the cost you could have window washers do the job for several years.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I bought a stone house built in 1900..it has vinyl replacement DH windows that cost $11,000 13 years ago. They make cleaning much easier but they are larger than standard size so are heavy to tilt. Also the windows in an older house aren't as square as new so they had to be tweeked - extra shims and caulk applied to make them airtight. 9 ft. windows would be impossible to "tweek" and maneuver. So ditto to JLMCDANIEL.