+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leaking foundation wall

We have poured foundation which has a vertical crack from top to bottom in our basement. The crack has started leaking after we had an unprecedented earthquake and record rain in east coast recently. I have tried filling it with hydraulic cement with no avail. I need some recommendation on epoxy based crack fillers and tips on how to do it. I have looked at polygem.com as recommended by one of the articles on this site but need to see if there are any cheaper alternatives. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jayman

Default Re: Leaking foundation wall

Check this product.
    ZYPEX they may have a product to help with your problem

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Check this product.
    ZYPEX they may have a product to help with your problem
    I think it's XYPEX.

You are correct my book is xypex

Thanks for the quick response guys, any chance I can find this in retail chains (HomeDepot, Lowes etc)? or is this ****** order only

Thanks again.

Info I have is
    13731 Mayfield Place, Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
    Tel. 604-273-5265
    1-800961-4477
    Fax 604-270-0451
    Nearest distrubitor to me is
    Jim Schwartz & Associates, Inc. LLC
    803-518-0223
    Cell 803-519-6056
    Fax 803-581-8322

Default Re: Leaking foundation wall - Cracked

My contractor charged $500 to repair each 4-feet long crack on my concrete balcony (6 cracks = $3000). My experience in No. VA is that only commercial contractors serving building owners know about the epoxy repair method -- my cost is high because the work included cosmetic blend so the cracks are blended with the original - a lot of hand work and almost like a drywall repair on concrete.

In your case, you will lay down an expoxy "crack filler" that will leave a very visible bead scar on the wall. The filler will keep the expoxy glue from oozing out the crack when you hand pump (in my case, gravity fed) the glue through the glue stations/holes.

The epoxy glue and epoxy crack filler are very specialized so your're not going to find them the big boxes for $30.

My suggestion is to observe the manufacturer specs, and don't cheap out with trying to stretch out the epoxy glue (to save on buying another kit). So if they say a kit is for 6 feet, buy 2 kits if your height is 8 feet.

If the repair holds, the kit cost is better than a wet & smelly basement.

Another aspect is that basement walls, I've read, are under high hydronic pressure that is relieved by a drainage system. If that drainage system is failing or overpowered, cracks and seeping water are inevitable, so you'll also have to be on the lookout for that.
    Last edited by Brookworld; 12-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Trying to repair foundation cracks from the interior with expoxy or hydraulic cement is only a band-aid.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Trying to repair foundation cracks from the interior with expoxy or hydraulic cement is only a band-aid.
    What would you do ?

You also might want to think about adding extra dirt or soil for the sides of your home where the leak was more prevalent. Get enough to where you make a slope going from the edge of your foundation out towards the middle of the grassy areas. I did this because we had major foundation leaks from standing water puddles against the side of the home.
    Last edited by HomeBody123; 12-15-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: misspelled word