+ Reply to Thread

Default circuit breaker trouble

i recently re wired a house and am at the comissioning stage. everything working apart from 1 lighting circuit. the original problem was that the circuit breaker and rcd protection were on and working fine. however as soon as a light was turned on the rcd would trip. this was however only when a globe was in a light. i split the circuit and found the middle light was on working fine so the problem was down the line.
    so i went to a light further down and found that a neutral was loose. i re connected this. however whilst this was now not tripping the rcd, as soon as i tried the same thing with putting a globe in and turning on the circuit breaker was now tripping. and when trying to reset it was popping but staying on
    i have inspected all the connections and followed the cable and there is no visible thing that would be causing this.
    any suggestions????

Default Re: circuit breaker trouble

Could be a short or loose connection. Did you use romax or wires? Pull the further wires in the location in question out, inspect them for damages, reinstall and test.

When connecting wires, tighten the nut, then hold it tightly and try to pull the wires out. If they come out, splice again.

Perhaps a staple was driven a bit to vigorously?

A nicked wire grounding out in a junction box? If not tripping when idle, then its probably a neutral to ground short and not a hot wire involved. But I ain't no sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbratton View Post
    i recently re wired a house and am at the comissioning stage. everything working apart from 1 lighting circuit. the original problem was that the circuit breaker and rcd protection were on and working fine. however as soon as a light was turned on the rcd would trip. this was however only when a globe was in a light. i split the circuit and found the middle light was on working fine so the problem was down the line.
    so i went to a light further down and found that a neutral was loose. i re connected this. however whilst this was now not tripping the rcd, as soon as i tried the same thing with putting a globe in and turning on the circuit breaker was now tripping. and when trying to reset it was popping but staying on
    i have inspected all the connections and followed the cable and there is no visible thing that would be causing this.
    any suggestions????
    By rcd protection --- are you referring to Arc-fault or Ground Fault circuit interrupters ?
    If so --- do you have it wired properly in the panel ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush