+ Reply to Thread

Default One wire going to ceiling fan and track lighting, need help with dimming

Hello!

I have an older house with a basement living room that I'm remodeling. The previous owners had a ceiling fan in the main room with one switch controlling it. I replaced the ceiling fan and ran track lighting to the ceiling fan in hopes of being able to use some sort of dimmer switch on the whole assembly.

However, I've since learned that you can't dim a fan readily, and Hampton Bay sells a remote control module that would work but I have 600 watts worth of track lighting I'm trying to power.

Is there a solution I haven't found yet that would allow remote dimming of those lights?

The best thing would be to run two circuits, but I really don't want to try pulling new wires or replace any sheetrock.

If there were some sort of remote control inline module that could handle 600 watts that would be perfect. I found a company called insteon that makes an inline remote module but it's only 300 watts, so it's no better than the Hampton Bay solution.

How else can I get un-dimmed power to the fan and dimmer power to 600 watts worth of lights? All with one circuit running to the ceiling box?

Thanks!

Default Re: One wire going to ceiling fan and track lighting, need help with dimming

I'd put the lights on a different circuit.

Default Re: One wire going to ceiling fan and track lighting, need help with dimming

I know you don't want to pull any wires but the only way I can see of doing it (maybe someone else has other ideas) would be to run a 14-3 or 12-3 wire from the switch box to the fan. You would need to install a two gang box. The power coming from the panel would not need to be re-run.

You would pig-tail the hot from the panel with two wires (one for each switch). Then connect the black going to the fan to one switch and the red going to the fan to the other switch. One of your switches would be the dimmer switch.

At the fan you would connect one of the hot wires to the fan motor and then the wire from the dimmer would connect to the fan light and then out to the track lighting.

I hope this all makes sense to you. If you are at all uncomfortable with any electrical work you should have an electrician do the work for you.

Mike

Yep -- the best way and cheapest way is to wire the lights seperately.
    Have you verified adding the extra 600 watts of lights isn't overloading the circuit ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush