+ Reply to Thread

Default In-slab duct repair

I have a single floor house build in the 50's. The house is on a slab and the duct work was build into the slab. I has noticed that when it rains alot we get water in our vents. This is causing multiple issues. When we run the heater or AC it gets real humid in the house and smells like meldew. I was wondering how I would go about repairing the old ducts with out busting up my foundation. I have a down force gas furnace so running new ducts in the attic is not an option either (as far a I know).
    Last edited by gdickson; 12-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: In-slab duct repair

I doubt that your going to be able to fix the present duct system without tearing up the floor, is it ground water that seeps in as the water table rises or is it coming in from the chimney through the furnace. If it's ground water I would remove the furnace, fill the hole in the floor with cement and replace your downflow with an upflow, rerun your ductwork into the attic with supplies to each room, rework your return out the closest wall by the furnace. If the water is coming in through the chimney fix the leak. If you have a high enough pitch on your roof you may be able to put a horizontal furnace in the attic and run your ductwork accordingly. Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply.
    The water is coming from the ground water. I ran my shop-vac in the ducts to try to clean out as much water as I could and sucked up alot of mud. I would love to just replace this furnace with an up-flow one but can't afford to make that purchase at this time. Too bad I just can convert the one I currently have. I do need to do something, the air quality in my house is aweful.

Some furnaces can be used with up flow or horizontal ducting, so it might be worth it for you to check if your specific unit could be converted. Contact a reliable HVAC guy.

Thank you for your reply,
    I will do that, I was not aware that some units could be converted, I was told it one way or the other.

I don't think they can be converted as that would also mean changing the burner assy, and heat exchanger but I may be wrong. As dj1 says check with a reputable HVAC Co. Good Luck

Check with company that do sewer pipe repair they insert a dry sleve looks like a sock inject hot water or steam this causes the duct to be lined with a plastic like material than a robit is placed in the dout to cut the openings where required.
    Final product is a one piece duct no joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Check with company that do sewer pipe repair they insert a dry sleve looks like a sock inject hot water or steam this causes the duct to be lined with a plastic like material than a robit is placed in the dout to cut the openings where required.
    Final product is a one piece duct no joints.
    this would be the best way, but its very expensive

The previous owners of our home had thee same issue, and put a furnace in the attic and ran duct work from there. They never filled the ducts or put in cold air returns, so make sure you or a contractor to the complete job! It actually works quite well, and having the furnace in the attic freed up some main floor space in the house. Good luck!