+ Reply to Thread

Question Remove wall paint from shower stall edges?

What is the best way to clean old wall paint from the edges of a shower stall? I believe the shower is fiberglass - is there an easy way to tell whether it is fiberglass or another material? The bathroom has seen many colors with the previous owners including bright pink, bright green and white, all of which are on the stall's outer edges - apparently no painter's tape was used, and they didn't cut in very well... It does not peel, and scraping etches the stall's finish. If I do remove it with a utility knife and it scratches the shower, is there any sort of shower stall makeover kit, where I could also sand/refinish the shower stall itself and give the whole shower a nice new finish when complete?
    Last edited by llwood01; 12-07-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: Remove wall paint from shower stall edges?

You don't want to use anything that's going to scratch or damage the shower.

Start with a little paint thinner on a rag. The pt will soften the paint and remove it. If you want something that's going to work a little faster, use lacquer thinner. If you want to scrap, use a wooden spatula handle or similar, something that isn't going to scratch or damage the tub.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that this afternoon. Do you know if I will need to neutralize the paint thinner after use, with denatured alcohol, for instance?

No, all you'll need to do is wash the area with warm soapy water to remove the petroleum residue.

I would recommend picking up some nitril gloves to protect your hands from the paint thinner/lacquer thinner, as these items are solvents that are not particularly good to be in prolonged contact with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!