+ Reply to Thread

Default rise in floor- remove shims or leave as is?

We are about to begin renovating a two-story house built in 1930 (according to tax records, anyhow). It has a noticeable hump in the floor that is present in the same place on both the 1st and 2nd floors. Upon further investigation, we found that there are shims above the floor joists directly beneath the rise in the floor. Our best guess is that the floors were shimmed up to meet the fireplace hearths, which are raised a bit (the shims are on either side of the hearth, underneath the hearth/floor transition).

So my question is, would lowering the rise in the floor be a simple issue of raising the floor enough to remove the shims, then lowering it back down? Or is there some compelling reason not to do this? Have any of you encountered something similar?

Smile Re: rise in floor- remove shims or leave as is?

So the shims are beneath the subfloor? Is the floor good and usable? If no, then you should remove the flooring and shims so that it's all level and install new flooring bc(you can't install some substrates to an uneven surface in your reno). Easier to say than the process will be to do. If the floor is good then you'll have to try to remove just surrounding the hump in sections and pry out the shims to level the floor. I've had the same issue but 2/3 of the length of my house that settled over 100 yrs. Good luck.