+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hooking up a Gas Stove

I have a new Gas Stove. The new stove has 1 /2" male connector for the supply line, and it came with a flexible supply line that is 1/2" female on both ends.

My old stove has a 5/8" male connector for the supply line, and a flexible supply line that is 5/8" female on both ends.

The pipe coming out of the floor has a 5/8" male end on it.

So it seems like a simple fix - either:

a) Find a fitting to take the 5/8" male end coming out of the floor down to a 1/2" male end, and then use the 1/2" flexible supply line.

b) Find a fitting to take the 5/8" female end coming out of the flexible supply line down to a 1/2" female end, and then hook it to the stove.

So I have been to two hardware stores and surfed the Internet. It seems like this 5/8" setup never existed. No 5/8" flexible supply lines are offered for sale, and nothing to adapt a 5/8" male or female to a 1/2" male or female seems to exist.

So right now, I am in the Twilight Zone, and the guy I gave my old stove to likely is as well.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Hooking up a Gas Stove

Questions:

(a) What size is your gas supply nipple out of the wall/floor? 1/2" or 3/4"?

(b) You should have a shut off valve at this point. If you have one: what size is its oulet? If you don't, go and get one that fits your gas line in and has 1/2" out.

Then you just hook up your stove using your flex.

The pipe coming out of the floor is 1 1/16" diameter. So, would that be a 1" thread?

Then there is a valve with a 5/8" male nipple on the end of it.

I was hoping to not have to replace the valve as that would require the gas service to the furnace to be shut off and it is snowing, but I will have done whatever must be done.

I looked at my plumbing supply catalog and a REDUCING UNION 5/8x1/2 does exist. If you get a hold of one like this, it will solve your problem.

Google 'compression gas fittings'.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I looked at my plumbing supply catalog and a REDUCING UNION 5/8x1/2 does exist. If you get a hold of one like this, it will solve your problem.

Google 'compression gas fittings'.
    Intriguing, but I'm not clear how compression fittings will hook into what I have.

It wouldn't let me post a photo here, but am hoping you can access this link to a pic of my current setup.

soldiersmuseum.com/sales/hookup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by checkit View Post
    Intriguing, but I'm not clear how compression fittings will hook into what I have.

It wouldn't let me post a photo here, but am hoping you can access this link to a pic of my current setup.

soldiersmuseum.com/sales/hookup.jpg
    I saw the photo, your situation is not unsolvable. You need a reducer, and you can find it as I described before. Good luck.

If you can't do it, call a plumber. Plumbers do work in snow too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHog View Post
    All you people posting replies are morons. None of you know what you are talking about. When dealing with gas either natural or propane you need to hire a professional, NOT DIY get real and think of the safety of your family instead of your wallet.
    Cool it with the insults.

While it's always smart to let a pro deal with unfamiliar repairs and installations, a homeowner can do whatever he needs to do in his home, and that includes a gas stove connection.

If it was illegal for a homeowner to do gas line work, then parts wouldn't be readily available in stores.

I have a feeling that you don't call a contractor for all your home needs either.

I do believe to some extent Jim is correct. In some areas unlicensed people including home owners are not allowed to do gas work. Not only are they endangering there self and family. They are also endangering others that live nearby. As far a being able to purchase supplies to do the job. You can also purchase scalpels but that doesn't mean you can preform operations. Please don't take offence it's just my opinion.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 12-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.

John,

Point well made.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    John,

Point well made.
    I was sure you would agree dj.

John