+ Reply to Thread

Default Outlet on deck story

I thought I'd relate what I discovered last weekend. I installed an outlet on my deck a few years ago. I mounted the "waterproof" box under the railing and ran the circuit to a GFI breaker. All was well until a week ago I realized the circuit was out. I checked the breaker and it was tripped and whenever I reset it it tripped again. I thought great the breaker went bad, but checked the outside box before I did anything else.
    Much to my surprise when I unscrewed the cover, about 3/4" of water ran out. The water was up to the contacts of the outlet, causing the GFI to trip. I cleaned & dried everything, drilled a few holes in the bottom of the box and put it back together and everything works fine. I have no idea how the water got in, but at least it can get out now. When I get a chance, I'll look for a better box to replace the old one. I'm glad I had it wired to a GFI breaker.

Default Re: Outlet on deck story

Even 3R electrical enclosures such as Service Entrance panels have 1/8" drain holes in the bottom. You have probably solved your problem.

I always tighten the top screws on a WP box but just finger tighten the bottom screws.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Default Re: Outlet on deck story

You can never seal water out, but you sure can seal it in.

Always provide a way for water to drain out of outdoor electrical boxes, as you have done.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.