+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceramic Tile over existing flooring

I have a floor with a concrete base. (Slab Home) There is vinyl tile on the floor that I can not get up. Can I put ceramic tile over top of the vinyl without using backerboard?
    Last edited by TIM; 09-13-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: didn't finish question

Default Re: Ceramic Tile over existing flooring

I do not have a great deal of experience with tiling but I have done a few floors in my house. Everything I have seen from the pros would recomend getting rid of the old floor first. It may be a lot of work but that would be the best way to go. If it really is not possible you should use a backer board. Not sure how well it would adhear to the existing floor though. You should check with a tile shop they could better help you than the some of the people at the big box stores. Good luck in your project sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I would think the vinyl surface may be too slick for the ceramic tile adhesive to stick. One method would be...one person warms the vinyl tile with a torch or heat gun. The glue will soften and then the second person uses a floor sc****r while the tile is still warm. Caution must be used because if overheated, the tile will ignite. Proper ventilation is needed also. If the tile is old...abestos might be a concern. Then heating and scraping should be avoided.

I had the same issue with the vinyl. I took a Home Depot course on how to install tile. They said you can do it over vinyl, but you get a better, long term, result if you take up the vinyl first. I bought a heavy duty sc****r and eventually got it all up (good daily workout). Good luck!

Two houses ago, I had the same problem. I contacted several experienced tilers who told me to go ahead and tile directly on the vinyl. It was not as easy to get the mortar just right but eventually, I got the hang of it. The current owners tell me that the floor is still in perfect condition (about 200 square feet of the 1000 square feet I tiled were tiled over vinyl) and they're super happy with it. You may note: this house I tiled is in shaky and twisty California! Best wishes.