+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hot Water Takes A Long Time To Reach Shower

19 years of free hot water all summer long.

We have lots of pipes in the attic, walls and ceilings. Any one could break or leak. That's what home maintenance is for. By running the drain pipes to the outside where they can be seen is the point to catching the leaks early. The tank was probably leaking all day while I was at work. Made no difference as the drains did their job.

My point; HWH's in the attic aren't to be feared.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    19 years of free hot water all summer long.

We have lots of pipes in the attic, walls and ceilings. Any one could break or leak. That's what home maintenance is for. By running the drain pipes to the outside where they can be seen is the point to catching the leaks early. The tank was probably leaking all day while I was at work. Made no difference as the drains did their job.

My point; HWH's in the attic aren't to be feared.
    I have seen many HWH where the element blow out or the nipple supplied by the manufactures supply with the tank fail. I have also seen many welded seams let go. When one of these things accrue no drain for a heater pan will keep up with that amount of flow of water.

John

Houston,

We already established that you are exceptionally lucky not to have a leak in the attic and to have a WH last 19 years.

But, let me ask you this: how do you raise a water heater to the attic? you need 3-4 guys for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Houston,

We already established that you are exceptionally lucky not to have a leak in the attic and to have a WH last 19 years.

But, let me ask you this: how do you raise a water heater to the attic? you need 3-4 guys for that.
    I would say the question is not how you get the new clean and dry water heater up, but how do you get the old nasty loaded with rust calcium and water ever down? I have had to do it and believe me it's not fun.

John

I once had to raise an old 50 gal WH from a basement up, using a hand truck. It was very difficult. Luckily, the water heater drained well and was 90% empty. But some of them old water heaters refuse to drain...then what?

Then lower a new one down 14 stairs. It was very difficult.

Then I needed a vacation.

I have a somewhat rickety set of pull-down metal attic stairs in the second bedroom. A buddy pushed the empty tank from below while I pulled from above. We are both smaller guys and well over 40yrs old. I made a handle on the top of the tank by screwing together some pipe between the hot and cold connections. A little length of rope helped to raise it up the stairs from above. The reverse worked well to get the old one down after using a garden hose to drain the old tank down to the bath tub. If the outlet got clogged, the cold water inlet was turned back on to flush out any blockage in the hose.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 12-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Houston,

Still sounds like a very tough job, even for young guys like you and your friend.

A question: woudn't it be easier to put the two water heaters in metal sheds outside, adjacent to the kitchen wall? WH metal sheds are very popular here in Southern Cal. If you worry about cold nights, wrap the WH with WH blanket.

They are popular here too. Usually wood though. My HWH used to be in the kitchen, but the water took what seemed forever to get to the bathroom. I placed the HWH directly over the only bathroom / laundry (also for structural reasons) and re-piped the lines to run in the attic over to the kitchen, 25 feet away.