+ Reply to Thread

Default wiring diagram/help needed for bathroom

hello...i am wiring a bathroom with a 3 switch rocker and an outlet with 2 plugs in a 2 gang box. power is coming in from the ceiling via 2 wire. I have the rocker powering a fan, light and sconce. this is all wired correctly and working properly. what i cannot figure out is how to wire the electrical outlet within this same box. i am looking for assistance on how to complete this. currently the way i have it wired my tester is saying their is an open neutral in the outlet. i have checked all wires, nuts and connections and nothing seems to be incorrect.
    any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: wiring diagram/help needed for bathroom

Some photos could help clear up the situation.

You need at least 10 posts to be able to upload photos, or you can email them to JLMcdaniel and he'll gladly post them for you.

did you run a hot and neutral from the ceiling box to the new 2 gang box?

Yes, there is a hot and a neutral (2 wires total) coming in to the gang box from the ceiling. Then I have (3) 2 wires going out to the light, sconce and ceiling fan respectively all of which are operating properly. Tying in the outlet in the gang box to this set up is where my issue lies. Thanks for the assistance.

If your 3 musketeers (light, sconce and fan) are operated with a single switch, that is your problem.

The two new receptacles should be on a continueous (hot) line. And you need ground wire. And you will need GFCIs.
    Last edited by dj1; 12-06-2011 at 09:56 AM.

sorry. let me clarify again. not used to this posting thing.

the 2 wire is 2 wire with ground. the switch is a 3 rocker (3 separate switches) each of which control one of the three fixtures.

i wanted to wire it with the regular outlet first so that I knew it worked and then was going to add a GFCI since it is in bathroom and close to water.

does this help?

You need to splice the incoming wires, in a junction box, before it splits to the three fixtures.

Check your connections carefully. Be safe, turn the breaker off first..

now that makes sense to me now. sort of a pigtail but a safe one in a junction box. let me give that a shot and i will close the loop with a post.

thank you again for the assistance.

Am I correct in thinking that you want to add the receptacle in the same box as the switch? If thats correct maybe the experts here can confirm if you can feed the receptacle with power first then feed power through the outlet to the switch. This may help remove a need for additional pigtails and wire nuts. However I'm only a beginner when it comes to electrical.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content