+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing a plug on a lamp post

Hi All!

I would like to install a light fixture on a lampost that has a sensor to turn on the light at night and turn it off in the morning. I have a two plug box that I want to install. How do I access the wires and do I install the plug above or beneath the sensor? Want to use this plug for working with tools outside.
    Thank you for your help. Appreciate your time.

psaltee

Default Re: Installing a plug on a lamp post

1. An outdoor reseptacle needs to be a continueous line (hot). Is your postlight controlled by a switch somewhere?

2. What kind of post do you have? metal or wood? and do you know where the electrical wire is hidden?

And don't forget it has to be GFCI protected.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Very good questions DJ!

The lampost is metal and I don't see any visible wiring so my anxious mind would say the wires are inside the post. As to where the 'switch' is is anybodys guess. My plan was to saw into the post below the sensor and attempt to access the wiring and connect to the outlet box I want to install. I was told that the box needs to be installed below the sensor otherwise I won't have contiuous electricity. Also I was thinking of installing a gfci plug. I wanted to attach this box to the lower part of the lampost. Looking forward to getting this done. If I can't answer the switch question do I have alternatives?

psaltee

Your plan is fine, IF there's no switch.

But if your light comes up at dusk, then the line is hot. Go ahead and do it.