+ Reply to Thread

Question Are you a Hardwood Flooring Expert

I've been a GC for 25 yrs +, do all facets of remodeling. However flooring is not my expertise. I have a stack of rough sawn red oak, which i plan on using on a cabin floor. I'm looking for the best application method.
    Typically the floor is installed over rosin paper, but with wideboards (ranging from 3" - 9") its been suggested to glue (PL400)directly to the Advantech?

My questions: relief cut back-limit cupping?
    tool edge to shiplap ?
    face nail ?
    glue. to minimize movement ?

tooling for T&G in this appl is not an option. I plan on planing to 13/16",and ripping for variable width runs. Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Are you a Hardwood Flooring Expert

Face nailing with rose-head or other cut nails would be better than gluing. Are they random-length with lots of shorts or nice long planks? You can't efficiently face nail (exposed nails anyway) the shorties. Looks too busy, takes too long (nails at ends of boards must be pre-drilled, though all nails can be pre-drilled which guarantees no splitting). Face-nailing has to go into joists, too, or the vertical nails will loosen right up and out of the plywood decking in no time.
    When we make our own flooring, we always cut grooves and spline it together. Shiplapping is just not as reliable, and you will get edge split/tearout which spoils material. Putting a 1/4" groove down both edges (three-wing router bit) is a good mindless job for a helper. Then, rip some spline stock, dial it in by passing thru the planer and you're good to go. The greatest reason for splining is that with super-expensive reclaimed wood (we do a lot of restorations) you're not losing face width of 3/8" per course like from milling T&G's.
    If you want rose-head nails, you won't be able to sand the floor, because you'd spoil the nails or have to set them awfully deep. If you were to use 1/4" plywood for splines you could blind nail through them (would be a problem with solid wood splines, I'm afraid-- will split out).
    But if it's a cabin look, maybe pre-sanded or unsanded is okay?
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Are you a Hardwood Flooring Expert

Thanx for ur imput. Do you recommend relief cuts, some boards are up to 11" and all 10' in length. I like the splining idea.
    I'd like to use cut nails for the look, but how to sand without grinding down the nails. pre-sanding to me seems inaffective. Also i'm assuming the spline is glued. Thanx again