+ Reply to Thread

Question Steam Radiator Won't Up

Hello, everyone.

Below are a few pictures of my steam heat radiator. It is completely cold and I'm a newbie at working with plumbing issues, so I'm not sure why.

Is there a part I should change or routine maintenance I should do to get it working again?

Thanks, Erik

Default Re: Steam Radiator Won't Up

Make sure that the floor supply valve is completly open, take out the vent on the side of radiater and try to blow through it, if it passes some air then boil it in some vinager and water and screw it back on, if the radiator heats up after the vent is out then the vent is the problem, and watch out for the steam it will burn you real quick, as a last resort make sure the boiler is at least half full with water in the sight glass, and NEVER add water to a hot empty boiler, always let the boiler cool to lukewarm and add fresh water until half full. Check pressuretrol and make sure it is set at 1/2-1 psi with 2 psi diff. Hope this helps it. This is all I know after dealing with my old steam system for many years, and don't forget to drain sediment every couple of weeks off boiler drain ar lwco if it is the float type. Good Luck!

Have you checked to see if the radiator is level or tilted slightly toward the supply?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jled96 View Post
    Make sure that the floor supply valve is completly open, take out the vent on the side of radiater and try to blow through it, if it passes some air then boil it in some vinager and water and screw it back on, if the radiator heats up after the vent is out then the vent is the problem, and watch out for the steam it will burn you real quick, as a last resort make sure the boiler is at least half full with water in the sight glass, and NEVER add water to a hot empty boiler, always let the boiler cool to lukewarm and add fresh water until half full. Check pressuretrol and make sure it is set at 1/2-1 psi with 2 psi diff. Hope this helps it. This is all I know after dealing with my old steam system for many years, and don't forget to drain sediment every couple of weeks off boiler drain ar lwco if it is the float type. Good Luck!
    Your advice was just the ticket. The radiator heats up and works now. Thank you for being so kind and responding to my question!

One other thing:

The supply valve is leaking a little water from time to time. My understanding is there is a gasket beneath the nut on the supply valve, which is likely worn out.

Does anyone have any information on where I would purchase such a gasket?

Thanks,
    Erik

Try snugging up the packing nut on the valve that may be all that is required to stop the leak.

John