Default Have to hold down handle on Toilet to flush

For my toilet to flush, I have to hold down the handle till the water leaves the bowl. What's up with this & how do I fix it. Thanks

Default Re: Have to hold down handle on Toilet to flush

Remove the top of the toilet tank. Do you see a chain that goes from the handle to the flapper. Shorten it, by moving the hook to a different hole on the handle. This should remedy the situation. If not, replace the flapper.

Check the chain to the flapper for a Styrofoam float, there is a small retainer on the top and bottom. Remove the one on the bottom and move it down about a half inch. Slid the float down and move the top retainer to keep in place. If it is better but still doesn't flush completely move the float a little farther down.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

replace the flapper. It's deteriorated and closing too soon.

For me it was replacement of the entire toilet because calcium had build up enough in the drain of the toilet that it was preventing the water from creating the pressure necessary to drain the toilet properly. Before coming to that conclusion I had made all kinds of flapper adjustments and replacements as I had done in the past but no longer resolved the issue.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

some CLR would have eaten away all that calcium.

i tried as many remedies at the time including CLR multiple times, vinegar, baking soda, and every other home remedy i could think of. The calcium was so thick that chipping it away with a screwdriver and hammer was the only way to make it flush any better. Eventually replaced the whole thing.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content