+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kitchen height

Default kitchen height

Hello - I am working on a new kitchen design for my house that was built in the early 1900s. The height from floor to ceiling is 96" and we were thinking of doing a crown molding of some sort with granite counter tops.

Assuming cabinet heights are 35.5" and the granite is 1.5" thick, would that mean we wouldnt have enough room to do 42" cabinets plus crown molding? It seems that 36" and 42" are the standard heights for wall cabinets. What are your thoughts on my situation?

Base 35.5 + Granite 1.5 + counter top height 18 + base 42 + crown molding 3 = 100" and too much for a 96" high ceiling... am I missing something?

Thanks!
    -Adam

Default Re: kitchen height

Adam,

A 42" upper is designed to fit to the ceiling at 96"

A 30" upper is designed to fit to the standard 12" soffit under that 96" ceiling.

If you want crown, hang some 40's, some 40's lower than usual, go custom, or add the crown to the top of the 30's

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Adam,

A 42" upper is designed to fit to the ceiling at 96"

A 30" upper is designed to fit to the standard 12" soffit under that 96" ceiling.

If you want crown, hang some 40's, some 40's lower than usual, go custom, or add the crown to the top of the 30's
    Thank you for the quick reply! What do you mean by hang some 40s lower than usual? Does this mean put the 42" lower than usual and then the molding?

Generally 39" tall wall cabs are used. Omega is one of only a few large manuf's who make them; and custom shop would do, of course.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Would that be enough space between cabinets and the countertop? For appearance purposes that might be something to consider. I'm just trying to imagine that in my head right now...