+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gap between fascia and roof deck

While removing some rotting fascia that had been chewed on by the squirrels living in our attic, I noticed that there's about a 2" gap between the fascia and the roof decking all around the house.

I'm wondering if this is a problem. If so, how should I proceed? Replace the 1x4 fascia with 1x6? Or cover the gap with flashing?

Default Re: Gap between fascia and roof deck

If you can send a picture, that will be great. Otherwise two questions:

1. Is the fascia flush with the rafters or the deck?
    2. Do you have drip edge?

Hi, dj1. Alas, it's dark out, so no pic right now. The rafters and the roof decking both overhang the fascia by 2-3 inches. No drip edge.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_hat99 View Post
    Hi, dj1. Alas, it's dark out, so no pic right now. The rafters and the roof decking both overhang the fascia by 2-3 inches. No drip edge.
    Now a picture can really be helpful.

You need at least 10 posts to be able to load a photo, or you can email your picture to JLMcdaniel and he'll post it for you.

Okay, I just e-mailed JLMcDaniel with some pics. Went up to the attic and it looks like light's coming through only underneath the sheathing on the gable end. Couldn't see any light along the rest of that side. So maybe there was a block of wood in there between the fascia and the sheathing that the squirrels ate?

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Okay, I just e-mailed JLMcDaniel with some pics. Went up to the attic and it looks like light's coming through only underneath the sheathing on the gable end. Couldn't see any light along the rest of that side. So maybe there was a block of wood in there between the fascia and the sheathing that the squirrels ate?
    OK, I looked at your photos that our dear friend Jack loaded and frankly, I don't know what the squirrel(s) ate, unless of course we catch the pesky squirrel(s) and look inside their tummies

To repair and bring to code what you have now, you'll need to rebuild or hire a carpenter/framer. Basically, remove all damaged lumber, clean the area, install new lumber (studs, rafters, fascia and plywood) and finish the exterior to match the rest of the building. Ideally, the roof deck goes over the rafters and fascia, then roofing paper and drip edge, finally the roof itself. The sides get studs, plywood, wrap and matching finish.

Thanks for the advice.

After clearing out some of the squirrel's nest and rotted wood, I was able to get a better look at things in there. It seems like the fascia board has rotted and come loose from the ceiling joists, causing the whole soffit/fascia structure to sag by about 2" , which opened up some space between the fascia and the roof.

A fascia board is generally not a structural element, sounds like you have other problems.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the advice.

After clearing out some of the squirrel's nest and rotted wood, I was able to get a better look at things in there. It seems like the fascia board has rotted and come loose from the ceiling joists, causing the whole soffit/fascia structure to sag by about 2" , which opened up some space between the fascia and the roof.
    Your roof deck and fascia are sagging because they lacks proper support. Like I told you before, you need to reconstruct the side wall, the rafters, fascia and deck, in this order.