+ Reply to Thread

Default Severe annoyance with "Unique Refinishers"

The purpose of this post is to inform you about a company I've had experiences with so you won't suffer the same fate.

I recently bought a house in May of 11, one that had been foreclosed on, purchased by an individual and re done, including my trouble spot, the bathroom.

Shortly after moving into the home, I noticed that the tub was bubbling (sort of like how a clear skin is placed on something but the air bubbles are not fully let out.) After a couple of uses, I noticed that the air bubble had popped and it was a glazing that was coming loose.

Fast forward to October. I found the initial invoice by the company that did a re-glazing of the bathtub in January (of 11). I contacted the company and they said they'd schedule a managers visit so he could come check it out. The one day he finally did show up (about a week later) he came when I was at work, during the time I told the receptionist I was not available. Making a series of further phone calls led me to finally work out a time for the manager to visit my home (causing me to leave work early for the guy.)

Upon visiting my home, he spent a total of 30 seconds to 1 min. checking out their failed glazing job, and then left. 2 weeks later I finally call back to the company after hearing NOTHING from them in the mean time to which I was told I would have to pay anywhere between 95 to 250 dollars for the repair. I asked several questions regarding the guarantee of the work to which I was told I was not A) the original owner B) no warranty was purchased C) I did not use the correct cleaner on it (the terms and conditions specify that I use thier own brand of cleaner) and D) she could do nothing for me unless I paid up.

I tried calling back to talk to the manager that had visited my home, only to be rudely responded to from the same individual that I orignially talked to replying with the same answers that she had already said. I inqured into the quality of the work that they do and the longevity of it (6 months of non use as the house was not occupied from January to may when we started using it) and she did not seem to care unless again, I paid up.

I am severely disturbed and distraught from this encounter and I will NEVER use thier product again. (I even asked her if I were to get it fixed how am I supposed to know that what they are going to put on isn't going to repeat what has already happened; she replied I would need to buy the warranty and use the correct brand of cleaner.) I am disappointed in the lack of care of the receptionist, the lack of longevity of the glazing, and overall look of my now deformed bathroom. I am glad I had not originally paid this company to do the work in the first place. (Did I mention it's one of the slipperiest tubs I've ever been in? I've almost fallen out of it countless times.)

The company in question is called Unique Refinishers in Canton MI. I highly recommend you stay away from them. On a lighter note, I suppose thier name serves their company well- they have a uniquely crappy product. As for me, I'll be saving whatever I'd be paying them to fix my tub for an eventual decent replacement.

Default Re: Severe annoyance with "Unique Refinishers"

I see why you are so frustrated, but it looks like you won't get anything done for free.

The irony is that the cost of the original reglazing plus the cost of the repair, is probably the same or more than the cost of a NEW enamel over steel tub, delivered and installed...

If this happened to me I would replace the tub, and here's why: let's assume that you will pay for a repair and buy their warranty. A glazing job won't last many years, whether you use their cleaners or a cleaner like Bon Ami. And let's assume you called them back (if they are still in business) after 4-5 years. Do you really believe they will honor the warranty?

So a new tub makes more sense for the long run.

IMHO, that's just really bad business practice, but there are a good number of companies that play the numbers game and push out shoddy workmanship rather than do a good job and warrant that work to have customers for a lifetime.

On the other hand, and not to side with the company, they are every bit within their rights to refuse service to you because you are not the person they sold the job to, hence they own you nothing. They also know the tub was a done poorly and if they touch it again then they WILL have to warranty their poor work.

If I were you I'd look at it this way, if they did that bad of job the first time around, do you really want them back to try again?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hmmm...I had a great post with a link to your local BBB to file a complaint against the company. Seems the admin didn't approve my post.

Oh well...I was just trying to help you out. Don't understand their decision.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BungalowMo View Post
    Hmmm...I had a great post with a link to your local BBB to file a complaint against the company. Seems the admin didn't approve my post.

There are lousy contractors everywhere, and you should always complain locally, like the contractors' board. Posting a complain in a forum like this or BBB, is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by BungalowMo View Post

It was nothing you did and it wasn't the admin directly. Basically, the security protocols of the site flagged your post due to images or links - it happens. The bad part is that the admin never reads or approves anything, so if you want to share what you feel is important information, you have to do it without images or links, or find some that don't flag the software.

Having said that, doing anything with the BBB is pointless anyway. It is not the watchdog group that the public thinks it is. They don't care what kind of business is a member, as long as they're paying their membership dues. Complaints filed by the public don't go anywhere either. IF enough complaints are filed against the same company, the BBB MIGHT drop them as a member, but that's about it.

If you want to do something constructive you report bad contracting practices to the governing contractors body. If your state requires contractors to be licensed, THAT is the agency you go to.

Again, in this particular case of secondhand ownership of faulty work, the original poster doesn't have a leg to stand on and will be told so by any governing body.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

While I do agree that the BBB isn't all that it's cracked up to be, I have had success (twice) by filing a complaint through them. Just saying that the woman she dealt with on the phone does not have the final say.

I had actually mentioned in my post that the company ratings have nothing to do with how good they actually are. It's all about paying a membership fee to the BBB.

One well known company who we ALL deal with from time to time had a "C" rating....until they became a member. Then they were suddenly an "A". It's Fair Isaac...the developer of the FICO scoring system. They have certainly not changed the "quality" of the system. It is what it is, based on your personal info.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content