+ Reply to Thread

Default ughhhhh another fundraiser

and two more missed episodes.
    and it looks like it will be at least two more.
    i have emailed the local programming director before to explain how it makes absolutely no sense to bump or completely preempt the episodes as all it does is further alienate us. Watching on PBS.com is not much of an option for me either on my 17" 10 year old monitor and dsl connection.
    I and many others donate to PBS just for TOH and completely bumping 3 or 4 episodes during a critical 16 episode series is extremely frustrating.

guess im just venting but i highly encourage all of you to email your local PBS programming director and explain how counter productive it is for them to continue to do this twice a year.

over it

Default Re: ughhhhh another fundraiser

They wouldn't do the fund raisers if they didn't work and they didn't need to.

To be quite honest, you can raise the same complaint about the number and duration of commercials that one is subjected to with regular tv programming. To be honest, I'd gladly exchange a few fundraiser drives for fewer or no sense assaulting commercials.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Some of the shows on PBS are really fantastic and deserve contributions.

But many times, the long fund raising drives are so annoying and demanding, that they make regular commercials look so innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    They wouldn't do the fund raisers if they didn't work and they didn't need to.

To be quite honest, you can raise the same complaint about the number and duration of commercials that one is subjected to with regular tv programming. To be honest, I'd gladly exchange a few fundraiser drives for fewer or no sense assaulting commercials.

when a show breaks for commercial it doesn't skip over 3 or 4 episodes.

enough said

It's frustrating but necessary - I guess. My former company made a very large donation to PBS with the stipulation that it end fundraising early on Saturday nights so we wouldn't miss the Britcoms and Toh. They gladly took the donation but actually extended fundraising time until midnight. We complained but got excuses. That was the last time we sent them a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    It's frustrating but necessary - I guess. My former company made a very large donation to PBS with the stipulation that it end fundraising early on Saturday nights so we wouldn't miss the Britcoms and Toh. They gladly took the donation but actually extended fundraising time until midnight. We complained but got excuses. That was the last time we sent them a penny.
    Country singer Garth Brooks went a step further. He donanted 500K to a hospital in Oklahoma for a specific use. They promised to follow through, but after 12 years failed to. Brooks sued for the return of the donation...and won !

Now the hospital, which probably has spent the money on expensive lunches and executive trips has to go on new fundraiser to pay back this judgement. How dumb of them was that?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Country singer Garth Brooks went a step further. He donanted 500K to a hospital in Oklahoma for a specific use. They promised to follow through, but after 12 years failed to. Brooks sued for the return of the donation...and won !

Now the hospital, which probably has spent the money on expensive lunches and executive trips has to go on new fundraiser to pay back this judgement. How dumb of them was that?
    Thanks for that beautifully diabolical info. I checked before logging in here and here in Georgia there are no restrictions to suing a state run agency.
    Now I am left with a decision to make. I love PBS and what they're trying to do. On the other hand they did commit a fraudulent act on me.
    I'll heep everyone posted.
    Thanks again.

Chief,

Personally, I adore PBS stations.

If you feel you were mislead, cheated, etc by your local PBS station, maybe have a talk with the station manager. A law suit will not be easy to win, even after Brooks' case. Tell the manager about the promise they made to you before you donated the money and bring up the consequences of not keeping their promise.

See what he can do, but don't expect much.

some VERY interesting replies to this thread, and that info about Garth Brooks is crazy!
    i dont care for his music but he's a good man for having principles and standing behind them.
    ironically another fundraiser is already starting up again, beginning tomorrow and running for 4 weeks, and completely preempting a few more shows in the process.
    seriously over this.

I'm not crazy about country music, but Garth Brooks "The Thunder Rolls" rocks. If there is one single best country music singer, it's Brooks.

Personally, I like the music of Teresa Teng. Find her on Youtube.