+ Reply to Thread

Default Attached attic space

I have a old farmhouse (1860's) Ther have been several additions over the years, all more then 60= years ago. My area of concerl is upstairs. One addition is above the kitchen. The addition is one story with a attic area above it. That part abutts my bedroom. I am wondering how to insulate this area. Wisconsin is my location so is is a important issue.

My questions are:

What is insulated? Do I do the wall that is that wall to my bedroom or do I have the insulation up the angled walls and do the outermost wall?

I would think i should place the insulation over the "floor" of the attic. But do I also go up the sloped walls? Do I leave a space at the top for air escape? I understand the other part of the attic that is above the 2 story portion. i reviewed the videos.
    also, I would like to use the space for storage. What can I place over the insulation to allow me to walk on it? Are pall Can I hang a rod and keep clothes in there hanging? Thanks, Sue

Default Re: Attached attic space

The principle of insulation is to insulate any area that is between heated and unheated space. So the wall between the bedroom and the attic should be insulated, as well as the "floor" of the attic. Don't insulate the roof if the attic floor is insulated. Installing a vapor barrier on the floor before insulation (or using kraft-faced insulation, paper side down) will help prevent moisture entering the attic from living space.

You need to make sure there is adequate ventilation in the attic. The best way is to install soffit vents (if there are none, you may be able to drill 2" holes in the blocking at the eaves and install heavy screening over the holes to keep birds and insects out), then make sure that the insulation does not block these vents. You can purchase baffles that install between the rafters for this purpose. Then you need to install venting higher up. A continuous ridge vent is ideal, but square hooded roof vents will also work. Don't install a gable-end vent as this will reduce the efficiency of the venting.

Proper insulation and ventilation will prevent condensation and mold growth in the attic, and also prevent melting of snow that can cause ice dams. The life of your roof shingles will also be extended.

As for storage, you would want to build a plywood platform that is above the level of the insulation. Do not compress the insulation; that kills its effectiveness. Be careful what you store there; the ceiling joists may not be able to take much load. Do not store items which can be damaged by extreme cold or extreme heat -- attic temperatures can exceed 150 degrees. Do not store flammable or volatile liquids such as paint, aerosol cans, or camping fuel in the attic.

Natural fiber clothing should be OK. Synthetic fibers could be degraded with long-term exposure to extreme heat.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.