+ Reply to Thread

Default Lighting Design Plan Help?

Hi, we are renovating our 1890's home and have removed the many ceiling layers and are getting ready to run new ceiling fixture wiring and drywall. However, I am having a hard time deciding what, where are how many light fixtures to run.

I have browsed the web and have come up short on information on how to plan this.

The are is two large rooms with a small divider:
    The total space is 11.2 ft wide and 30 feet long.

Should I go with recessed lighting around the perimeter and a centers ceiling flush fixtures?

Any advice or direction to resources is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Lighting Design Plan Help?

Your lighting decisions should be based on the purpose of the rooms and how they will be furnished and decorated and if you will have pictures or artwork on the walls. The size and shape of the rooms is of little importance here.

The light amount will also depend on the height of the celing.. Im partial to can lights, but thats just me.. as far as how many, well depends how birght ya want it. I always use cans, and put on dimmers.

Both good comments. I too prefer can lights and dimmers.

If you put in 95W 130V lamps with eyeball trim you can change the lighting effect very easily by adjusting the direction and angle.

By using high wattage, high voltage lamps with a dimmer the lamps may last 5 years or more, if run at less than full.

Also, for safety use IC rated fixtures so they may safely touch the insulation/wood etc around them. If they will be located in an un-conditioned space use "IC" and "Airtight" type.

If being installed in an existing ceiling use "Remodel" type.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Just to add to what has already been said: consider costs as well, cost of materials, labor and running the lights.

I strongly agree with @keith3267; decide how you are going to use the two spaces before you light them. A rec-room wants lots of light and grid of recessed lights would be great for that. However, a living-room or bedroom needs significantly less light, mostly from floor-lamps and table-lamps.

Do you have a floor-plan for these rooms yet?

There are three categories of lighting: Ambient/general; task; mood. Cans in the ceiling are very good as ambient light, but are less effective as mood lighting unless very significantly dimmed (and $$$ to dim Fluor), and fail at task lighting unless you are willing to have your ceilings look like swiss cheese, and bear the burden of that expense (nice trims for 5" cans run $12/each).
    Kitchens are IMO the only rooms to require the demo and expense of fitting out with cans, and even then the non-historical look may rule it out for some. (I like the 13 @ 5"/4" ceiling cans in my kitchen)
    For bedrooms and living rooms chandeliers and table/floor lamps give the right look and maintain flexibility and keep costs reasonable.
    Some indirect lighting, if possible, can be great mood lighting and reinforce architectural details in important rooms.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thank you everyone for your posts they are very helpful!