+ Reply to Thread

Default when to use a stapler

What applications would one use a stapler instead of a nailer and what would be the reasons for using a stapler

Default Re: when to use a stapler

It would depend on the type of staple and the project you're working on.

Staples and composition roofs don't mix, the staples are too frequently installed improperly which decreases their holding capacity, which is low in an asphalt shingle to begin with. Standard roofing nails are the best fastener. For wood shake roofs, a staple is the best fastener to use.

For furniture it is ok, as long as the staples are used in hidden areas. The size of the crown leaves a larger mark that must be filled, leaving behind an unsightly blemish.

For outdoor projects such as making lattice, a staple will hold better than a nail.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would guess that a staple would be better when you need to fasten softer woods, where a finishing nail would pull through. Staples, of course, make a more visible blemish if you are filling before painting or staining.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

When installing hardwood flooring it is recommended that you use a stapler if the sub-floor is OSB but flooring nails if the sud-floor is wood or plywood.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Geez ....don't start that again.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Talking Re: when to use a stapler

Lmbo....... :d :d
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Are you saying I should use duct tape to hang my sheetrock? Sounds like a 2-in-1 product. Holds the sheetrock in place AND covers the joints. Only problem is my wife doesn't want gray walls.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

we aren't going to go into this discussion again. trying to put me out of a job finishing drywall????