+ Reply to Thread

Default Move Electrical Outlet Box under the Kitchen Cabinet

We are remodeling the whole kitchen. We plan to install granite backsplash. We have 4 electrical outlets on the walls. Should we request the electrician to move them under the cabinets or ask the granite people to cut the holes for the electrical outlet?

We understand if the boxes need to be moved the wall box will be physically removed as it can not be buried into the wall.

We need advises and pros and cons on these two choices.

Default Re: Move Electrical Outlet Box under the Kitchen Cabinet

If the outlets are at a good working height, I'd leave them and have the granite guys cut out for them. Don't worry, the granite guys are equipped to do this and cut around switches and outlets all the time. At the very least you'll have to install longer screws so that the outlet is mounted over the granite, at worst you'll have to have box extensions installed, neither option is a big deal.

If you don't like the current location of the outlets, then having the electrician move them to a more appropriate placing is fine, however, you DO NOT want to tuck them up against the bottom of the upper cabinets because they will be very cumbersome to use. You will have to stoop over to find the outlet every time you need one. Typical working height is about 12" from the counter top.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the quick response and thank you bringing up the usability aspect. I agree it will be difficult the find the holes blindly.

You're welcome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree, the practice of cutting granite and tiles for receptacles and switches is quite common.

While you're doing this, make sure you make any needed electrical changes before the granite goes in place. Things like add a breaker, reroute wires, etc. Also remember to install GFCIs near the sink.

All kitchen countertop receptacles require GFCI protection, not just those near the sink.