+ Reply to Thread

Default Switch Box Options For Box Fill Limitations

My original plan was to wire my bedroom with a new circuit for lighting/ceiling fan and one additional receptacle but i seem to be struggling with figuring out code limitations on box fill.

I was planning on using 14/2 to feed the switch first(so i have my neutral for 2011 code) and use 14/3 to feed the light/fan. I was then planning on pigtailing from the light switch to feed the receptacle then feed from the receptacle to a different light switch for a closet light.

Problem is as the main light switch I would have:
    14/2 feed from breaker = 3 conductors counting ground
    14/3 feed to ceiling fan = 4 conductors counting ground
    14/2 feed from switch to receptacle = additional 3 conductors counting ground
    For a total of 10 conductors in the switch box and if I have to include the pigtails, that's another 3.

I'm certain that i'm doing something wrong here or maybe overthinking it but I have no idea how i'm suppose to do this if a standard metal switch box has a limit of 5 14-gauge conductors as listed in NEC table 314.16. Am I misinterpreting the code here?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Switch Box Options For Box Fill Limitations

From what iv'e read, this is what i have so far

14/2 feed from breaker = 2
    14/3 feed to ceiling fan = 3
    14/2 feed from switch to receptacle = 2
    This gives me 7 conductors + 1 for ground + 1 for cable clamps + 2 for strap/yoke for switch = 11 conductors

Any wiring or box suggestions?
    Last edited by dcalabro; 12-02-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

First of all you need to use 12 gage, you need a 20 amp circuit for bathe rooms. I don't recommend lights and receptacles on the same circuit because a hair dryer could trip breaker and leave you in the dark but

Run 12/2 to first receptacle, 12/2 to second receptacle, 12/2 from number 2 receptacle to light fan, and 12/4 from light fan to switch box.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If I start to fill up a 3 gang box with devices and wire I just go with a 4 gang for space and install a filler plate over one of the deco openings.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Oops, sorry . Fpr some reason I read bathroom.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb