+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How best to sell tools, machines, and wood

I am in central pa and here an auction would absolutely be the best option. around her the wood would only get 25 to 30% of what you would pay at a lumber mill. But the tools if they are true industrial quality will pull in 60+% of retail. In our area the amish and Mennonites love auctions and will pay very good money for quality used equipment. But I honestly know nothing about your market in boston. id try looking for a dedicated woodworking site with a classified section you might have good luck there. But site like that generally only industrial quality stuff sells well not homeowner grade stuff like craftsman unless it is raelly old craftsman when it was still quality equipment.

We had a similar situation with Dad's tools. Some were antiques and we got decent prices from collectors on e-bay. We knew a teacher at the local Vo-tech school and through him we sold most of the rest to students just starting their careers in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    We had a similar situation with Dad's tools. Some were antiques and we got decent prices from collectors on e-bay. We knew a teacher at the local Vo-tech school and through him we sold most of the rest to students just starting their careers in the trade.
    You know, this is a terrific idea.

I'm facing a similar situation right now: an old friend of mine, who was the ultimate handyman, just passed away. He had no children, his wife passed away a couple of years ago, so he left his tool collection to me. But guess what, I don't need any tools right now (is there such a thing?) - I want to work less!

He was a great wood worker (I'm not), with iron patience to work on little things. Some of his tools are made by manufacturers from the tool hall of fame, companies that disappeared or bought by others.

I think I'll go to the nearest Vocational School and see if there's any interest.

I have had fair success using Craigslist, but selling there isn't going to get you top prices- on there, the buyer reigns and competition can be stiff. If you go that route, exercise extreme care as it has become all to common for 'potential buyers' to be crooks casing the situation out for a later unwanted visit. And payment scams aren't unknown there either- cash only is the rule. I buy there sometimes but only from what seems legitimate individual sellers because it has also become a popular place to get rid of stolen tools.

Selling used tools usually gets you half their retail price at best unless it's a collectible or as-new. It's a bad investment we make but one we have to in order to do the work we do. Ham radio gear is similar. The best thing you can do for your stuff is to make plans ahead of time and leave a letter of instructions for this with your will so your bereaved family doesn't get ripped off.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You know, this is a terrific idea.

I'm facing a similar situation right now: an old friend of mine, who was the ultimate handyman, just passed away. He had no children, his wife passed away a couple of years ago, so he left his tool collection to me. But guess what, I don't need any tools right now (is there such a thing?) - I want to work less!

He was a great wood worker (I'm not), with iron patience to work on little things. Some of his tools are made by manufacturers from the tool hall of fame, companies that disappeared or bought by others.

I think I'll go to the nearest Vocational School and see if there's any interest.
    Mission accomplished - most small hand tools were donated to Veterans USA. They were very thankful to receive them.

i like tthe idea