+ Reply to Thread

Default Will leaf piles in the woods harm the trees?

I am currently dumping leaves into 3 or 4 ft. piles in the back where there are trees growing. There is nothing there specifically that I need keeping, but will the leaves acidify the soil, or whatever, to hurt the existing growth?

Or make it unlikely that anything else will grow?

Default Re: Will leaf piles in the woods harm the trees?

The leaves will act as a mulch. Excessive mulch as you are doing isn't a great idea because it will prevent the natural biology of the forest from occurring. If you can, spread out the leaves instead of making piles. Ideally the leaves will completely decompse in less than one year providing they aren't too thick. In a pinch, add some light lawn fertilizer to speed the decomposition in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The leaves will act as a mulch. Excessive mulch as you are doing isn't a great idea because it will prevent the natural biology of the forest from occurring. If you can, spread out the leaves instead of making piles. Ideally the leaves will completely decompse in less than one year providing they aren't too thick. In a pinch, add some light lawn fertilizer to speed the decomposition in the spring.
    Interesting, thanks! The lawn fertilizer though: does that promote the bacteria needed for decomposition?

The only way that the piles of leaves will harm the trees is if they are piled up against the trunk. Otherwise they will just decompose naturally. To speed up decomposition, you can shred them or mix grass clippings in in the summer.

After the piles are a couple years old, they will be good compost. If you have gardeners around, they will come and get it for you.

Great time to make a compost bin an use those leaves to make you yard or garden soil so much better by using the compost.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Great time to make a compost bin an use those leaves to make you yard or garden soil so much better by using the compost.
    That would be an enormous bin. I also lack the patience to rotate it.

No, in fact it will break down and become compost eventually.