Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: About burning pressure treated wood

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I ain't a philosopher or a chemist, but I went to some deep thought about what you are saying.

So, as I understand it, you reject it when someone tells you "you don't do this, because it's toxic" when he doesn't have any proof to back up his words. OK, I can accept that.
    Don't bother accepting that.

You didn't go into deep enough thought if you squeezed that out of what I said. I haven't "reject"ed anything. Questioning why there is no evidence for a commonly held strong recommendation is hardly rejection. Rejection is outright believing that something is false. I am searching for information, and am not comfortable with such strong belief systems based only on word of mouth. At least I can't find anything solid. Can you?

Seems to me in my life I've seen a bit too much common knowledge later prove to be mythic in nature.

Here is a simple truth for you.

If you wouldn't eat it or drink it, then don't burn it or dump it into the environment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    so why are you so concerned about such a thing... pt is full of chemicals..its proven.. the new stuff isnt as bad as the older type. which is proven

the late larry haun a legendary carpenter who published countless articles along with several books for the taunton press died last month of cancer. he is certain that a good reason for his cancer is do to years of handling lumber that was dripping with arsenic.. now imagine this stuff burning what is released into the air and those surrounding it...
    Actually you raise a perfect example of why causality is so difficult to discern. Oddly enough, I have been looking into the nih, cdc, and [believe it or not it exists] cancer.gov.

Consider: An enormous number of people die from cancer. As a lesson in managing percentages of large populations, of those victims it wouldn't surprise me that there exist people who have been exposed to something or other in their lives oddly or markedly identifiable. For example, there might exist a horse racer that was elbow deep in saddle soap most of his life....he might suspect that as the primary actor. An electrician might suspect the EM fields he bathes in. And a construction worker would ponder the chemicals in the wood. And each of them would be right in questioning things.

As for burning poisons, I can't even guess close to the number of factors that aren't yet taken into account, or at least don't seem to be (shrug). Perhaps some of these need to be asked?

• how much of the toxin is denatured from heat
    • how much of it is obliterated on combustion
    • how much of what's released bonds immediately with surrounding molecules, limiting its systemic absorption by the human body
    • if the emmision is indeed as dangerous, or even more dangerous per mg, then how much of it do you actually breathe in? Remember it's radiating outward in a rough hemisphere around the burn, and your mouth is a small fraction of that hemisphere, and the inverse square law diminishes that intersection very rapidly with every step backward.

That was just typing quickly off the top of my head.

If you know of something conclusive, please post it here.
    Last edited by tgm1024; 11-27-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

If you wouldn't eat it or drink it, then don't burn it or dump it into the environment.
    Leaves, dirt, twigs, rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    Yes, that's indeed true about the common sense. Hence the reason I stated I would never do it.

I dont think that drinking gasoline is not an applicable analogy. It would be like saying that there is no evidence about the damage from sticking plastic toothpicks in your eyes as opposed to wooden ones. In the gasoline case, direct ingestion of such things have specific reactions. In fact I remember reading of such things as a kid from a doctor of an Emergency Room because of the then energy crisis. The question with the PT is 1. is anything released, or consumed, 2. is it inhaled/coating you or otherwise in contact with you dangerously, and 3. has the toxin been denatured anyway if so. For my counter broken analogy, punctured globes are commonly understood, regardless.

In life we are warned about the problem of CO emissions.....these HAVE caused deaths and there have been several attempts to address it (detectors, warning about burning things indoors, etc.) We understand the results of smoking. We even know with clinical certainty the results of various amounts of heat in direct contact with skin ("don't touch a hot stove" is more than common sense).

BUT.....I don't see anything substantive about burning pressure treated wood anywhere. And I am searching for something.
    The point being -- do I need to have pages upon pages of scientific research showing imperical data proving something is bad ? Especially when an reliable source states it .

For example ........ Coming from Health Canada regarding CCA treated wood .......

Can I burn CCA-treated wood?

No, the practice of burning CCA-treated wood is unacceptable. Burning treated wood concentrates and releases the preservative chemicals in the ash and smoke of a fire.

I don't need imperical data to believe it -- good enough for me.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

Well put.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

tgm,

It's pretty obvious you came here to DEBATE, not to find answers. However we are not so good in debates and philosophy. We are good in fixing faucets and toilets.

The president is good in debates. Obama will debate you till you drop. You'll love it. You should direct your question and thoughts to him.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    tgm,

It's pretty obvious you came here to DEBATE, not to find answers.
    Absolutely incorrect, and that's rude to think that you can just wipe clean what I'm saying by some sort of high-road categorization.

I am outright asking if there is anything substantive. So far I've only received things that fall into the realm of common sense, a position I already admit to understanding and abiding by!

Are you only satisfied by people accepting your answer as addressing the question in the first place? Besides, I've been very very clear here: I'm not disagreeing that burning PT is unsafe. I'm pointing out that no where is there anything substantive other than words that seem to be taken at face value.

I'm not here to debate or argue as a goal, but will re-iterate a point when the answers received here fall directly into what I've been talking about.
    Last edited by tgm1024; 11-28-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Well put.
    I like it as well. It's a good default mindset for keeping our world safe.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    The point being -- do I need to have pages upon pages of scientific research showing imperical data proving something is bad ?
    No one said, or implied that you did. But you SHOULD want statements that do not sit unsupported in a vacuum.
    Especially when an reliable source states it .

For example ........ Coming from Health Canada regarding CCA treated wood .......
    They supply a mere statement without anything showing direct effect by measure.
    I don't need imperical data to believe it -- good enough for me.
    Of COURSE. I don't need it either to guide my actions. But isn't it ok in your book for me to question statements that sit in a vacuum as if they're self evident? You had better read and re-read what I WROTE and not what you HOPED I wrote.