+ Reply to Thread

Default "Rock Wool Insulation"

I am trying to improve my attic insulation and when putting in new batts I am finding what I am told is "rock wool" insulation covered on both sides with paper. The paper disintegrates with the slightest touch, the house is approximately 58 yrs old I bought it about 5 years ago. I have removed some of it and replaced it with faced R-30 batts and will lay another layer perpendicular over that before I am done of R-15. Can I shred the old rock wool and use it as loose fill or with a blower to suplement areas where there is loose fill/blown in insulation that I cant get to to put in batts?

Default Re: "Rock Wool Insulation"

old rock wool insulation doesnt do very much for insulating, i wouldnt waste time grinding it up and using it as blown in. you'd be better off bagging it and throwing it out then blow in 14" of loose fill cellulose or blown in fibreglass to achieve a proper r50 rating
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by 5967 View Post
    I am trying to improve my attic insulation and when putting in new batts I am finding what I am told is "rock wool" insulation covered on both sides with paper. The paper disintegrates with the slightest touch, the house is approximately 58 yrs old I bought it about 5 years ago. I have removed some of it and replaced it with faced R-30 batts and will lay another layer perpendicular over that before I am done of R-15. Can I shred the old rock wool and use it as loose fill or with a blower to suplement areas where there is loose fill/blown in insulation that I cant get to to put in batts?
    Sure you can -- it won't hurt and will add some R value.
    Just make sure the second layer running perpendicular is unfaced.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

There was once a black paper-jacketed insulation with a filling inside. A few houses in my area had it, but the filling is gray cellulose (ground newspaper) and like you're saying it disintegrates. See if it burns.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Howdy as you have the room to work above the existing insulation why not just blow in some cellulose on top the existing and allow 2 extra inches for settlement. Removing the old seems allot of work to accomplish what? The advantage of cellulose over fiberglass is air retardant and fire retardant.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.