+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Vanity Install: Align to tile or wall?

I'm attempting to install a new vanity in a right-side corner, but upon trying today I discovered that the walls are not square, and the grout line of the mosaic tile on the floor is at a slight angle. So if I push the vanity flush against the walls, looking down using the grout lines as guide, the vanity looks crooked, and if I use the grout lines as a guide, then I have upwards of a 1 inch gap along the back or right side. There will be a side splash, but given the scenario, it'll be flush against the wall in the back right corner, but will angle out to 1 inch off, if I keep it aligned to the countertop. I'm at a loss for how to make this look right. Do I make the right-side flush, exposing the gap along the back and fill this will (a ton) of caulk (or molding), or make the back flush and fill behind the side splash with caulk? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Vanity Install: Align to tile or wall?

I would push the vanity and top against the wall because this is what you're going to see more than the floor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think that filling a 1" gap off square to the wall is not good, and it will always bother you. I know it would bother me. Align the vanity with the wall, like Spruce mentioned, to make a bad situation less bad (better?).

BTW, how did you finish the floor tiles in the corner?

Have you considered scribing and cutting the top to fit?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the feedback. With respect to the tile on the floor, I'm remodeling (in a loose sense) a bathroom in my mothers house, and she decided to keep the old tile. With the exception of the base edges of the vanity, there are no tiles under the where the vanity will be placed.

As for scribing the top, its a man-made stone (i.e. corian), so I'd be a bit iffy about trying to scribe it.

Corian can be cut with a standard masonry blade. You'll want to cut it from the bottom to minimize chipping to the top side.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Don't use a masonry blade. Use a standard cross cut blade. Make your cut at 30" per minute. This will give you more control and less dust.

For more information on working with Corian in the home workshop, Google coriartinc .

This will work best.

Ken