+ Reply to Thread

Red face Care of concrete patio, stress relief grooves cracked and opening

10 year old house, cement patio with stress releif grooves about every 8 feet. Patio had no problems until last year. stress grooves have cracked and have slightly separated (same elevation, just separated about 1/4 inch). I live in Utah and have a wide temperature range (0-100 deg F). Should I be filling in the cracked grooves with something? If so what?. I thought about filling with expanding foam to keep water out but I don't want to do something dumb. Any suggestions would be great.

Default Re: Care of concrete patio, stress relief grooves cracked and opening

Concrete is garunteed to crack. When jointing concrete when it is poured is simply encouraging concrete to crack in that area(the stress relief cracks). There is really nothing you can do because if you fill the cracks(assuming they are not too wide)the material will be squeezed out in the summmer when the concrete expands in the heat. They will tend to widen with age and you can get a caulk that is colored grey and designed to fill those cracks.

Sealing 1/4" cracks in concrete is important - you don't want water going there, but use caulking made for that purpose, not foam.

Howdy maintenance of adding a non hardening high quality concrete expansion caulk is a best practices. The best is self leveling that never set up hard. Concrete redimix suppliers have it and the big tube is the best cost wise. The box store stuff in my experience simply does not last. This quality caulking moves with the concrete expansion cycles. If you live where it freezes then to avoid freeze and thaw damage it is a must almost a must. lol
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If the cracks are too wide for general caulk, you might have to replace that section of the patio. We've jackhammered large cracks and refilled with cement before.