+ Reply to Thread

Default Patio Pavers/Stones Help

Hi, I am starting a new project and I am trying to lay down new patio stones. I already have an existing concrete base, however they are different heights. I have been asking around trying to figure how to raise the one side up, but all i get is concrete. I am not sure what to do and some help would be great. Here's a sketch of the area. On the north side is the house with brick siding and there is a door that is 4" high. I would like the pavers to be level with this since any higher and the door will not open. Below it is a smooth concrete base. South of that is a rough concrete base that I did my self that is about 1 1/2" high. I would like to somehow level all three surfaces out to have one surface. Also to the west is 2 wooden steps that can be removed and rebuilt. Lastly on the southern and eastern side there is a large flowerbed with a retaining wall that I just finished. Thanks for any and all help.

Got some pictures. Here's the patio stones I'm thinking of using. The tan one i was going to get 4 and make a square. Then make about four of those. After wards accent it with the smaller gray ones.

Next a pic of the three different levels

Lastly a few pics of the whole are including the retaining wall. Here's the link for those pics:
    http://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsci0389.jpg
    Last edited by roxycorey; 04-02-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: Patio Pavers/Stones Help

The way I see it is that you have three options. One, pour concete on the low slab and bring it up level. Two, buy thicker pavers to raise the thickness. Three, jackhammer up the low slab and re-pour it. None of them sound great do they? If there's a way you could make a transition slab somewhere by cutting a piece out of the old one and re-pouring one in between, making a step or some architectural feature, try that.

Good Luck.

Tear it all out, and plant grass. That is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    The way I see it is that you have three options. One, pour concete on the low slab and bring it up level. Two, buy thicker pavers to raise the thickness. Three, jackhammer up the low slab and re-pour it. None of them sound great do they? If there's a way you could make a transition slab somewhere by cutting a piece out of the old one and re-pouring one in between, making a step or some architectural feature, try that.

Good Luck.
    I was thinking pour more concrete. How would I do that? Also would it stick to current concrete? Is there anything that I would need to do to prepare it?

Thanks again for the reply