View Poll Results: any one tried the NASA type exterior paint additive?

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • NASA paint additive?

0 0%
  • Go another route?

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: insulating new house due to street noise

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I live in a 3 yr old house; single story, 1850 sf, double pane low e glass, with foam(open cell) insulation in the ceiling(against the inside roof decking) and in the 2X4 walls. The house is very energy efficient but has a lot of street noise. A real surprise to me.
    I considered re-insulating the interior walls by putting up additional studs and filling it with insulation (really too expensive) and considered putting insulation in the attic ceiling, but builder said it would cause a moisture problem. I even considered a much hyped NASA additive to put in exterior paint. This may work, but can't find anyone-outside the industry- who would say that it does. The cost is the paint, the painter's time and the cost of the additive (which in it self expensive).
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the street noise short of putting in street bumps, wearing noise canceling headphones or selling to a deaf person? Please help me??
    Depending on what type of traffic noise you can reduce a portion of the noise with shrubs, trees and fences . A large portion of traffic noise is tire contact with the road surface. Dense shrubs at about 3 ft height will go towards reducing this sound. Along with other plantings and a barrier fence are the first line of reducing the noise that reaches the house.

Dual pane windows with different thickness of glazing also improves the SPL. The various thickness reduces the noise since they attenaute different frequencies.
    Applying rigid faom to exterior also reduces noise infiltration.

I'm sure you don't want to completely redo your 3 year old home so, a simple thing on the interior is apply 5/8 drywall or a special sound proofing drywall to the exterior walls facing the traffic.

I'm not sure how much noise is coming in from the attic but --- sight unseen --- if your attic is insulated creating a conditioned space then adding batt insulation to the ceiling rafters shouldn't be an issue with moisture.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk- Thanks for your suggestions on adding 5/8 insulated drywall boards to the interior of the exterior walls. That might be my cheapest way to handle this problem alone with your great suggestion of dense shrubs alone the foundation. I will start with the shrubs and work up to the drywall ( cheapest to the most expensive). Putting insulation on the rafters should also work, but will be the most expensive as I am in my 70s and will have hire someone to do that. Thanks again for your great suggestions. Neal

neal -- you're welcome.

I will add --- the shrubs should also be placed as close to the the street as well.
    These will absorb more sound from the tire to road contact closer to the source.

Good luck.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The more barriers, either vegetative or solid structures, you put between you and the source of the noise, the better. Sound waves are basically line of sight. You probably have noticed how much quieter it is on the "leeward" side of your house with the house between you and the noise source.

Years ago I lived on the 24th floor of a high rise apartment building in Chicago. You would think that being that high up, it would be quiet. No way! I could hear a woman walking down the street in high heels, not to mention the Cuban nightclub every Saturday night!