View Poll Results: any one tried the NASA type exterior paint additive?

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • NASA paint additive?

0 0%
  • Go another route?

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default insulating new house due to street noise

I live in a 3 yr old house; single story, 1850 sf, double pane low e glass, with foam(open cell) insulation in the ceiling(against the inside roof decking) and in the 2X4 walls. The house is very energy efficient but has a lot of street noise. A real surprise to me.
    I considered re-insulating the interior walls by putting up additional studs and filling it with insulation (really too expensive) and considered putting insulation in the attic ceiling, but builder said it would cause a moisture problem. I even considered a much hyped NASA additive to put in exterior paint. This may work, but can't find anyone-outside the industry- who would say that it does. The cost is the paint, the painter's time and the cost of the additive (which in it self expensive).
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the street noise short of putting in street bumps, wearing noise canceling headphones or selling to a deaf person? Please help me??

Default Re: insulating new house due to street noise

To reduce sound transmission, you need mass and compliance, or a vacuum. Putting a vacuum space into the wall isn't practical. I can't see how any additive to paint is going to provide the other two needed items.

I'd say that you probably have a thin outer sheathing and 1/2" drywall on the inside. Neither have a lot of mass, both are dense and stiff. The outer sheathing collects the sound and transfers it to the studs. The studs transfer the sound to the sheetrock where it vibrates and acts like a giant speaker.

The cheapest solution might be to replace the interior drywall with a thicker drywall that has a sound absorption layer. You help this more if you use a layer of open cell foam over the studs. It doesn't have to be very thick, a 1/4" thick layer should do.

If the outer sheathing is something like T-11 plywood, you could take it up and put a layer of OSB siding under it, a thin layer of the foam and then replace the siding.

2x4 exterior walls? this sounds fishy as far as i know 2x6 walls have been code in most regions for some time now. i only see 2x4 exterior walls in homes that were built in the 80's or earlier.

as for sound dampening, you can add resiliant channel on the inside of the walls then hang 5/8 type x drywall to help. also switching the insulation to safe and sound from regular fibreglass will do wonders
    fire up the saw and make some dust

There is not much to add here, both responds are correct. Better sound proof drywall and insulation.

Jkirk, 2x4 exterior walls are to code here in my town.

interesting, we have to frame with 2x6 in order to achieve a minimum rating of r-24 for insulating. either done with r19 batts with 1" foam on the outside or r-24 batts

regarding the paint thing.. never heard of it.

2x6 exterior walls for severe weather. 2x4 exterior walls for mild weather.

You are absolutely correct. Here in Texas the weather is usually mild in winter , but hot in summer. The builders normally put 2X4 studs in the walls because it is cheaper and the mildness of the weather.

if it were me id still use 2x6 for mild weather.. for the summer months you still want the extra insulation so to take the strain off the ac

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    if it were me id still use 2x6 for mild weather.. for the summer months you still want the extra insulation so to take the strain off the ac
    And you'll be smart to do it. The fact is that custom homes are being built with 2x6 exterior walls, 2x4 most interior walls.

It's just that the code requires 2x4 at a minimum.

Actually Mr.Kirk -- I believe the minimum code is still allows 2x4 framing as far as structure, however, based on using batt insulation the cavity isn't deep enough to achieve the minimum R value. If you were to completely fill the 2X4 stud bay with 2 lb closed cell foam then you would meet the minimum of R21.
    That's why 2X6 with batt is the common choice.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush