+ Reply to Thread

Default sink drain not draining

hi, i recently watched a episode where someone had a problem with a drain not draining completely because the pipe was level with the sink. luckily they had 3 drains to work with and one was lower. i have one sink and one drain and the pipe in the wall is at the same level as the sink drain so i have the same problem with it not draining all the way and leaving some water in the sink at all times. any idea on how to fix this?

TIA

Default Re: sink drain not draining

It's a simple law of physics: the pipe that goes into the drain in the wall must be lower than the sink. One solution is to re-modify the piping to make sure you get that.

Can you send a photo?
    Who installed this drain originally? a plumber or an artist?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Who installed this drain originally? a plumber or an artist?
    I recently dealt with an "artist's" sink, boy was that fun.

I would recommend lowering the drain inlet at the wall to get the necessary clearances.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks for the replies. the sink is in the garage and the drain comes out of the wall between the house and garage and its just about the foundation (the garage floor is lower). i thought about raising the sink a little but that would make it a little too high for everyone to use comfortably.

Well, you have to look at the pros and cons of how you go about it. If you can't lower the drain, then raising the sink is your only option.

To be honest, it sounds like you only need an inch, maybe two, to take care of the problem. I can assure you that you're not even going to notice that amount of height difference. If it's a problem for kids or extremely short people, then get a folding step stool to have handy for when they need to use the sink.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks. i was afraid that would be my only option. i was hoping there was a trick a real plumber would know that i would not.
    thanks

Ah -- another fine DIYer job with no inspection. I'd be surprised if there was a vent on this drain
    It's called a gravity drain for a reason --- the drain has to flow down and has to be below the sink level. If it's at the same level it won't completely drain.

Like Sprucey mentioned -- either raise the sink or lower the drain line -- or a third option would be a sump container with a pump.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ive never used a sump system, can you post a link where i can check it out?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supratreo View Post
    ive never used a sump system, can you post a link where i can check it out?
    thanks
    I've not seen or used one myself, but I'd have to assume it would cost more to purchase and install such a device than to raise the sink an inch or two.

What type of sink is in the garage and how is it installed? If it's one of those plastic laundry tubs, just lift it and be done with it. If it's a finished garage and the sink is mounted into a counter top and cabinet similar to a kitchen cabinet, then maybe a sump system would be warranted.

Have a look at Google with terms like sink sump or drain assist pump

thanks. its a deep stainless sink, the type used in restaurants. its pretty easy to raise but its deep so it might be a little harder for some people to use. looks like its my only option tho :/