+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coated OSB

Default Coated OSB

Episode 3106 made a big deal about a "fairly new product" coated OSB for sheathing. Green for walls and red for roof, I think. It eliminates the use of Tyvek etc. However, cannot find more about this product anywhere. It is not listed in the episode's products.

What is this product? Links please. Thanks.

Default Re: Coated OSB

Coated or not, OSB is an extremely poor product to use for anything.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Google it and find some articles about it. Keep in mind that most articles will be biased, to drum up business.

I don't know if it can replace Tyvek or other wraps.

Spruce, I agree with you on this one...I'll choose plywood over OSB, unless it's not up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by belgique View Post
    Episode 3106 made a big deal about a "fairly new product" coated OSB for sheathing. Green for walls and red for roof, I think. It eliminates the use of Tyvek etc. However, cannot find more about this product anywhere. It is not listed in the episode's products.

What is this product? Links please. Thanks.
    Zip panels
    http://www.zipsystem.com/zip-system/roof.aspx

There are also liquid applied weather barrier coatings available from Dupont , Grace , and Sto .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

zip panel has been available for a couple years i believe however it hasnt gone into full scale distribution. fine homebuilding has done a couple articles on it.. i know a few high end contractors in the states who have tried it. they like the idea but its still osb...
    fire up the saw and make some dust

My very good contractor used it on my very average 524 square foot addition (Roof-pink and Wall-green). It has held up very well as far as I can tell (no problems in 6 years), and a friend of mine just had his typical (not high end) contractor use the pink on his roof. That held up well in unexpected rain before shingles were on. In my case he was one of the first in the area to use it, so we added felt paper (roof) and housewrap (walls) anyhow. I think that for getting a structure dry very quick it is a good product.

What I don't understand is how its weather resistance is maintained when nails penetrate the outer surface.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    My very good contractor used it on my very average 524 square foot addition (Roof-pink and Wall-green). It has held up very well as far as I can tell (no problems in 6 years), and a friend of mine just had his typical (not high end) contractor use the pink on his roof. That held up well in unexpected rain before shingles were on. In my case he was one of the first in the area to use it, so we added felt paper (roof) and housewrap (walls) anyhow. I think that for getting a structure dry very quick it is a good product.

What I don't understand is how its weather resistance is maintained when nails penetrate the outer surface.

Good luck!
    I'm glad you mentioned the nails. In a felt paper, you drive a nail and the sun warms up the tar to create a seal around it. But with this coating? do we know if this is happening too?

Another weak area is the tape around the sheets. Can the tape be trusted?

not only can the tape be trusted.. how does the tape create a proper overlap if your using scraps in small sections that need to be sheathed

never heard of tar paper being a self sealing paper .. blue skin, vycor and ice and water shield

also, you mentioned a high end contractor didnt use this product.. high end contractors dont always use the latest greatest product, they use the products that are proven and sometimes weary of new products. using high end products doesnt always make for a high end contractor.. a higher level of skill in the installation of products so things last much longer is more in the lines of a high end contractor. i know a few contractors in my city that use only the most expensive of products but the actual install looks like crap... or the structure is far from sound
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Never heard of tar paper being touted as being self sealing . Besides the asphalt is used to provide moisture resistance of the paper substrate and isn't elastic enough to seal a pentration.

The coating on the panel is a weather resistant barrier -- not a weather proofing barrier , so , pentrations from fasteners is not a big deal. The fasteners are filling the hole they create.

Mr. Kirk --- well said about the difference between the types of contrators and the types and use of materials -- so true.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks all. Sorry I didn't thank earlier, but I didn't get any notifications of new posts and thought there were no answers. My son-in-law is the builder and I had told him what I saw on the program and he was curious. I'll let him make the call. Steve