+ Reply to Thread

Default Grounding question

I am currently remodeling my house and most of the wiring is 2 wire w/ no ground. I'm not remodeling my upstairs but do have access to the first out let of 3 outlets up there that are on the same breaker. If I replace the wire up to that first outlet and leave the the wiring to the others because i can't replace it will the outlets further down the line be "grounded"? If not any suggestions?

Default Re: Grounding question

Quote Originally Posted by jfgrabe View Post
    I am currently remodeling my house and most of the wiring is 2 wire w/ no ground. I'm not remodeling my upstairs but do have access to the first out let of 3 outlets up there that are on the same breaker. If I replace the wire up to that first outlet and leave the the wiring to the others because i can't replace it will the outlets further down the line be "grounded"? If not any suggestions?
    Unless there is a third ( grounding ) conductor run to the other receptacles -- those receptacles downstream will not have any equipment safety ground.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Would putting a GFCI in the first outlet give any additional protection?

Yes and no --- it would provide personal ground fault protection but it does not provide any equipment protection grounding --- it is allowed and to code as long as the saftey labels ( No Equipment Ground ) are affixed to the downstream receptacles.
    - Rush

Also , surge protectors that will be plugged into those ungrounded downstream receptacles will not work -- they need the grounding conductor to shunt the surges.
    - Rush

Yeah and tv