+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: sagging floor joists

Yes. I will be removing the old wood floor and the subfloor.
    And thank you.

Alrighty then --- unless your joists are 16" spacing and not 12" spaced then your faced with adding joists --- either dropping in full length 2X8 joists in between each existing to reduce the spacing --- or --- sistering 2X8 full length joists to the existing.

when you tear up the existing subfloor add the full length 2x8 's ( crowns up ) --- for sistering use construction adhesive and use three fasteners vertically --- space those vertical rows 12 - 16 inches apart the length of the joist.
    If it were me I would also add solid blocking to beef up the floor to minimize bounce.
    Then lay construction adhesive on the edges of the joists then screw down 3/4' tounge and groove plywood subflooring.

I suspect you will run into electrical wiring , possibly plumbing and HVAC ducts which will complicated things.
    Last edited by canuk; 11-23-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

who needs electrical, pluming and hvac

minimizing teh spacing on the joists will help quite a bit, along with installing blocking or sistering to the joists.. the blocking will transfer loads to other joists distributing the loads more evenly.

for new construction when conventional lumber is used 12" o.c is prett much expected in my region. the only time we do 16" o.c for joists now are for engineered joists if they aren't spaced 19 3/16 o.c (the little black diamond mark on your tape measure)
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    who needs electrical, pluming and hvac

minimizing teh spacing on the joists will help quite a bit, along with installing blocking or sistering to the joists.. the blocking will transfer loads to other joists distributing the loads more evenly.

for new construction when conventional lumber is used 12" o.c is prett much expected in my region. the only time we do 16" o.c for joists now are for engineered joists if they aren't spaced 19 3/16 o.c (the little black diamond mark on your tape measure)
    Yep --- those pesky plummin' , lectrics , and heat are a pain in the butt

16" centers is still used alot around here though I prefer to go one size larger than minimum code -- 12" is used when tile floors are going in or if the engineering requires a special floor system.
    I would never use black diamond spacing on floor systems -- sometimes for roof rafters.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you for the advice