+ Reply to Thread

Default 24' 5.5" pitch spencer truss use half?

Hi got a buy and thought that i would take the truss apart at the center and use each half for a shed roof application. I plan on installing a vertical 2by4 to support the wall end. Can not think of why this will not work or am i missing something?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: 24' 5.5" pitch spencer truss use half?

It will probably be fine for a small application, however a truss is designed to span the load across it's entire width, not just half, so it's internal webbing probably isn't up to what it should be for a half truss.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you halve the span of _anything_ it becomes stiffer, not weaker. As long as OP sets both ends on a wall or beam, there's no deficit. Replace the "king post" member with a full 2x4, not a 2x4 cut in half as could be inferred from the question.
    As long as it's not habitable space, there's not an awful lot a JHA is going to say.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks guys. I am wondering now what a shed truss would look like instead will stop by a local truss shop and inquire.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: 24' 5.5" pitch fink truss use half?

Man am i getting old . Spencer where did that come from? Its a fink truss. Will go to local truss shop and inquire there for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    If you halve the span of _anything_ it becomes stiffer, not weaker. As long as OP sets both ends on a wall or beam, there's no deficit. Replace the "king post" member with a full 2x4, not a 2x4 cut in half as could be inferred from the question.
    As long as it's not habitable space, there's not an awful lot a JHA is going to say.
    Casey
    Yes and no. The webbing on a truss is designed to redistribute the load across the truss in a very specific way. A full width truss' webbing counterbalances the loads from side to side. If you cut that in half, then you've actually weakened the truss, even if you put a "king post" back in it. Trusses are also specifically designed for the spans and the loads that they'll be taking. Because of that, you'll notice that the webbing on a half truss is different than that of a full truss.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

exactly as sprucey says.

if you cut the truss, technically you have to get the engineer to sign off on this saying how and if its ok
    fire up the saw and make some dust

All I know is that trusses are not rafters, and you don't mess with them, cause they are specifically calculated for where they are being put.

I wouldn't cut them in half. So how do you get your shed roof in?
    That's the question. I'd call my friend the architect.