+ Reply to Thread

Default how to remove pins holding door closed

I had a door made to fit the opening for my furnace. There are two pins through the frame that hold the door closed. The pins are in a metal casing. I seem unable to remove them. The head of the pin is smooth so not a screw.

Default Re: how to remove pins holding door closed

Try using a nail set, from the bottom up.

yup, center the nail set in the bottom of the hinge knuckle.. then tap it a few times with a hammer.. this will pop the hing pin up.. worse case scenario back the screws out of the hinges
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyfb View Post
    I had a door made to fit the opening for my furnace. There are two pins through the frame that hold the door closed. The pins are in a metal casing. I seem unable to remove them. The head of the pin is smooth so not a screw.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean --- is this a door on the furnace itself ?
    -- Or -- is this a door to a space where the furnace is ?

These pins you refer to are to hold the door closed -- then it's not likely the hing pins that allows the door to pivot.

Is the door and frame metal ? If so , they may be magentic and just requires a tug on the door or they may be spring loaded.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Are you trying after giving the unit enough time to cool down? The heat may be causing the metal to swell and make the pins stick even if its only a few degrees difference.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content