Default bathroom light/fan 2-way switch

Hi,

I'm replacing an old 2-way switch with a new Cooper Combination Device. The switch powers a bathroom light/fan, 1 switch controls the light and the other the fan. Link sows original wiring configuration: yankandlimey.com/lightswitch.jpg

My wiring is old, only difference is 2 wires are thick, 2 are thin. When I rewire it kicks off fuses, it also begins to control other lights in the house but a fuse will inevitably be kicked off. At first it worked, but then it controlled the lights of the mirror in the bathroom and in the kitchen!

Do the 2 thick wires go to the black screws and the 2 thin to the brass? This new switch also has a 2 circuit feed with a break-off tab to activate. I assume this needs breaking ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: bathroom light/fan 2-way switch

You will have to trace the wiring from the switch to the fixtures. Odds are you're tapping into the feed wire and not the outgoing control wires.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

I have it sorted, finally! The break tab was the factor in causing the fuse breaks, and then determining the right live wires to the black screws. Thanks!

As I only have a couple of posts TOH will not allow the url post, but if you copy and paste this into a browser you will see the images:

yankandlimey.com/lightswitch.jpg

Once the break-tab was gone I wired to this config:

BA
    DC

B and D being the lives going to black screws.