+ Reply to Thread

Default LED rope lighting in ceilings

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I saw this photo of a master bedroom ceiling and wall and I liked how it really makes the room glow. I want to do it to my own master bedroom but I cant seem to find a construction detail so that my handy man can do this for me. How was this ceiling supported anyway? Am I running into problems by trying to carve out my existing ceiling to put in LED rope lighting?

Ps. I dont want to use crown moldings. This is a modern looking house and there are no moldings anywhere throughout the house.

Default Re: LED rope lighting in ceilings

The picture shows a drop-framed ceiling. Basically, a false ceiling is built several inches below the structural joists, with a cavity around the edges for the lights.

Code:
    _________________   <-- bottom of ceiling joist
    |      |
    |    O |  <-- "O" is the light
    |   ___|
    |   |_____________________ <-- drop ceiling
    |
    | <-- wall
    |
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

haha. Thanks for the drawing. I guess I dont want to reduce the height of my ceilings
    Last edited by Bluefairy; 11-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Yeah, the only other way would involve cutting into the ceiling joists, and that's a big no-no.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Honestly, crown molding which is mounted on the wall (lowered and detached from the ceiling) is the only thing that will: 1. hold the rope lighting, that can get quite heavy. 2. give you the light effect you want, and 3. won't lower the ceiling.

If you find a better idea, please share.

What dj suggests is something like this:

Code:
    |
    |
    |
    The thing is, though, you have the effect of a molding near the ceiling, and the ceiling is washed with light instead of the wall. Here's a possible alternative:

Code:
    |
    |
    |
    Basically, the idea is to create a box (using MDF) that hangs from the ceiling, with the open side of the box facing the wall; the light is inside the box. It's not quite the same effect as pictured, since the box protrudes from the ceiling; it would create kind of a "coffered" effect with the ceiling recessed above the boxes (but only around the perimeter; you wouldn't want to install crossbeams as in a traditional coffered ceiling). If the joints of the box are caulked and the box is painted the same color of the ceiling, it could preserve the clean, modern lines of the room.

The box need not be large; just large enough for the rope light should be sufficient. Clean, square lines are a key feature of Modern design; it minimizes the structure allowing the color and texture of accessories to pop out. You will want to keep the box as simple as possible.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 11-20-2011 at 09:18 PM.