+ Reply to Thread

Default Drip edge, above window or above trim?

We just installed a new four-panel dual-sliding patio door. In the installation manual, they call for putting a drip cap directly above the installed patio framing...

I will be putting a 1x4 trim around the door. I have seen various houses where the drip cap is above the trim...

So, where do I place my drip cap? Above the door framing, or above the trim?!

Default Re: Drip edge, above window or above trim?

In studying it further, I think I've talked myself into following the instructions (imagine that!) and placing the drip cap immediately above the door. Reason being:

If water somehow gets behind the upper trim and siding caulk, it will fall down onto the house wrap which overlaps the door flashing, which will overlap the drip cap which will then make it way back to the exterior.

Tom

i actually flash both when doing this sorta detail, the door gets flashed with a peel and stick flashing either blueskin or vycor. as its a self sealing membrane the nails from the trim will be sealed, after that i put a metal cap flashing over the trim. never had issues this way
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I would cap the trim, you don't want water behind it, if you can avoid it.

i should add, i use 6" vycor for the nailing flange of doors and windows.. so when the metal goes on its overlapping the peel and stick.. the cap flashing gets back caulked to along the top edge where it meets the wall plus on the ends

Thanks all for the help. I put a metal drip cap over the door as the instructions called for, then placed a self-adhesive 6" flashing over that. The house wrap then folded down over both.

I am going to install the trim and then use another drip cap on top of that. It's a lower profile than I thought so I won't mind putting it up there, and like was commented, I'd rather not just have caulk to prevent water from getting behind it.

good stuff.the only water you should be dealing with is the wet stuff you spill from your glass or if you leave the door open in a storm

I think the best "rule" is to place the flashing over whichever sticks out the farthest, in some cases that's the window unit, but if you have brick mold or 6/4 trim that overhangs the unit, put the drip edge on the trim.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.