+ Reply to Thread

Default Whole house Generator

Does anyone know anyone that can install a whole house generator in Massachusetts? Also, if the house has a 110v service and is over 50 years old would it make sense to change it to 220v now since another panel will have to be installed for generator?

Thank You

Default Re: Whole house Generator

1-I have never seem a house that new served by only 120 volts. They may not have any 240 outlets but all have had 240 volts service. If you check your panel I believe you will see that the main breaker is a double.

2-I am not a big fan of whole house generator systems. They are expensive to buy and install and they are expensive to operate. I have a neighbor that has one the uses propane. If the electricity is off it runs 24 hour a day and use 4 gals of propane per hour. At contract price of $2.30/gal that means it cost over $220 a day to run.

A more reasonable solution is a much smaller generator and transfer switch that you run as needed. I use a 5500KW generator and a Reliance transfer switch. You can turn on only the circuits you need and generally only need to run it a few hours a day. A 5 gal tank will run it for over 8 hours of use.

Check out http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ and watch the installation video. Any competent electrician or experienced DIYer can install this system. I recommend a larger transfer switch than you need so you can swap circuits in use.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb