+ Reply to Thread

Default Putting in a new lawn

Is November to late to loam and seed in Massachusetts?

Default Re: Putting in a new lawn

yes. Sod can be done if the ground isn't frozen, but you are way too late to seed.

Can I still spread the loam and have it ready for the spring time or I'm I wasting my time . My issue is I needed to sc**** a thick moss that grew on my lawn and now I'm down to the dirt underneath but I want to put some fresh dirt down for the new lawn. I also have this weed in my backyard that has a red vine and green leaves and spreads like crazy any idea what it is and how to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Spreading loam (compost & topsoil?)now and leaving it now seems like a muddy mess all winter. Why not do everything early spring when you can get grass to grow. Controlling weeds should probably wait until the grass is established. Is there enough sunlight to grow grass? Thick moss sounds like there may not be. Be sure to check the ph of the topsoil, it may be low. Find out what the weed is and use the appropriate herbicide.

I just installed about 1,500 sf of sod this month, but we don't get frozen soil. Since the new sod needs to develop a root system into the soil, frozen soil won't let it happen and the sod will die. Same result with seeds.